Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've seen a lot out there, but would like to hear from the collective experience of this forum and why you chose a particular piece.

Here are some I've seen:

Extreme Geez - I like the turn-by turn data, but does it work with WinXP, and is it accurate with lap times? $400
xxxeditedxxx

Competition Data Systems - Looks impressive and also give turn-by-turn, but I didn't see a price and haven't heard of any C5 users.
xxxeditedxxx

Hot Lap Timer - Seen it used, looks accurate
xxxeditedxxx
Ultra Lap Timer - Looks Superior to Hot Lap
xxxeditedxxx

Computerwatch 4 car Talking Stopwatch
xxxeditedxxx

Any others?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Come on guys. I wanna know too.

:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
FWIW, I use the Longacre timer. Pros: IT has allways worked for me. Half of the time someone else has a transmitter at the side of the track and I don't have to get mine out.

Cons: The case that the in car display is in is rather large.

When I replace it I am going to use a AIM Sports dash with Data.

xxxeditedxxx

·
Registered
602 Posts
My experience with lap timers is limited, but I just bought the Ultralap from Plavan. It worked well this past weekend. I too did not need to get out my infrared transmitter as someone else had already set one up on a tripod by the start/finish tower.

It is nice to get feedback right away on my fastest lap, slowest lap and average lap time.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went ahead and purchased an Ultra Lap. It seemed superior to the Hot Lap, and cost the same.

I'd still like to hear if anyone's used the systems that track your route on a turn-by-turn basis. Seems those would produce a lot of useful data.

·
Registered
87 Posts
About 10 of us use the hotlap timers running in the Porsche Club events and they have proven to be very reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The small Hot lap display wedges in nicely in the ash tray area. I run the cable stuffed under the console to the spot where the asy tray would be. A small sticky of velcro behind it for insurance, but it wedges in nice and doubt it come loose unless you hit something.

As others have said, lots of em' at each event and rarely do it even have to set my track side unit up.

The unit that hangs out the window for the beam is a bit large compared to some others. I built a bracket that bots to the harness bar mounts and just velcro the unit to the alum bracket. Works great, no screws to mess with, just stick and go.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use ultra lap from xT racing. Works well. I think it's a superior unit to Intercomp and Hotlap just because of the interface and size. With Intercomp and Hotlap there seems to be a misterious button sequence to get the thing to work. Ultralap is intuitive to use. That said I did have to send mine in for repairs twice, maybe just bad luck. Ultra lap is very popular with motorcycle guys.

I'm getting an AMB transponder and will do a comparison of accuracy between the two when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Traqmate is one; GPS based. I have seen it demonstrated and it was very good.

traqmate.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Competition Data System (CDS). RPM, Throttle Position, Lateral G's, Steering Position, Gearing, Suspension Travel, etc. Can have as many as 36 sensors (I believe). Works with Windows XP. Available with a "lite" or "full" version software package. Easy to work with and has "gobs" of data. As much or as little as you want. Works with in-car transponder and track side beacon. On the expensive side but a true "race proven" data system.

WavRunner

·
Registered
579 Posts
I read this thread (and some others) and decided to get the Ultra Lap timer. I am very impressed with its usability (basically mount it and forget about it, dont even have to turn it on) and its made of high quality milled aluminum. The data upload to the computer is a nice feature with simple graphs that let you compare laps. Data can be convereted to Excel format so you can do more complex functions.

If you are thinking about this unit, dont hesitate, its great. Now I just need to find a place to mount the IR sensor!! Where?!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I mount my Ultralap sensor using velcro to either side of the inside windshield. The sensor gets triggered just fine there.

It has worked well for several events until the last one at Willow Springs. The temps were over 100 degrees and the velco adhesive melted. :flaming: :flaming:

·
Registered
78 Posts
If anyone is interested I have a Longacre HotLap Laptimer and Extended range transmitter for sale for $200.00 It works great. I am upgrading to a in car GPS timer and track mapping unit.

Thanks
James

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love the Ultra-Lap as well. Very easy to read, amongst other positives. Never could get the thing to transfer data to my computer...probably user error.

I just use 2 zip-ties to strap the sensor to my visor, which gets it aimed about right, plus you can clip them and loan it to friends in other run groups easily that way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For IR beacon type, nothing beats the XT Racing UltraLap! Now if I could just remember to not leave the beacon trackside at the end of the day....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts