Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SuperMAXX by Dynatech or LG Pro by LGmotorsports or some other.

This is a really bright group of folks, so before I lay down the coin - which is tight as it is - I want to hear from you guys.

Thanks for the time.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
MR.C5 said:
SuperMAXX by Dynatech or LG Pro by LGmotorsports or some other.

This is a really bright group of folks, so before I lay down the coin - which is tight as it is - I want to hear from you guys.

Thanks for the time.
This has been battled about at least 50 times or more.
For me the answer is easy. LGM Headers by a long-shot. Whether they are a better Value for the extra money that they cost over Supermaxx is where the big debate is :cheers:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Here we go again. :pp: You'll get a lot of gd advise here. We have fun with this one. I'm just going to listen though. ;)

Welcome to our family :jammin:

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I feel the LG's are the best :yeadog:

But I have the Supermaxx set-up, I was going to buy the LG's. But I got an awesome deal from a forum member
(Thanks case2307 :jammin: ).

:cheers:
Just my 2cents

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
LG Pro Long Tubes get my support! They are the header of choice by the top 4 World Challenge Corvettes where money is no object. As mentioned, there have been debates on which provide more hp, and from what I have studied the LG's may be similar in hp increase but beat the others in torque gains which is what you feel when you hit the go pedal. :jawdrop: Lou and his group are great to work with, and they have excellent customer service. I wouldn't trade my LG's for any header on the planet! :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
With a name like Mr. C5 I would think you already had the answer.
Gee I thought this was a test. :p
:coo:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rpallas said:
LG Pro Long Tubes get my support! They are the header of choice by the top 4 World Challenge Corvettes where money is no object. As mentioned, there have been debates on which provide more hp, and from what I have studied the LG's may be similar in hp increase but beat the others in torque gains which is what you feel when you hit the go pedal. :jawdrop: Lou and his group are great to work with, and they have excellent customer service. I wouldn't trade my LG's for any header on the planet! :thumb:

Bob :D
So you purchased LG Pro Long Tubes...and it sounds like you really like them...did you swap out your cat back or stay with stock?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I'm not a header engineer by any means and it is very hard to compare these products side by side.

But, here is what I have learned.

LGM Header

Cost $500 to $600 More
IMHO, because LGM does not manufacture it. Borla does. So there is an extra middleman

3" to 3" Cat
Better flow, maybe worse on emissions

Merge Collector
Proven to provide Torque and HP. Catch, they seemed to need to be adjusted to a particular car. Which is why they are normally slip-on. Also it is normaly not that much. Does it help, hard to say?

Only two oxygen bungs.
I think this has been changed or is in the process. If only two then simulators will be needed

Cats not close to stock location
This may cause it to be harder to pass a visual inspection. If this causes the cats to heat slower or not enough, it will hurt emissions.

X Pipe in front of Cats
I read this may help HP/TQ. I have not seen the science behind it yet. So I cannot judge for myself.

3” pipe all the may to the muffler section.
Can flow more volume. If 2.5" muffler section used hard to say how much. As DJWorm pointed out, a 3" pipe can reduce flow velocities on a stock cude motor. See below post for more info. May help on larger cube motor.

SuperMaxx Header

$500 to $600 cheaper
One less middleman IMHO.

3” to 2.5” Cat
This will reduce flow. May be better on emissions.

Four Oxygen sensor bungs
No simulators needed.

Cats Closer to stock location
May help in a visual inspection. Also if cats heat better and faster it wll help emissions.

2.5” pipe after cat all the way to muffler section
This is definitely less volume than 3”, but since the muffler section is normally 2.5” not sure of the advantage of 3” pipe. Also, 2.5" pipe, as stated earlier, may be better on stock cube motor.

X Pipe After Cat
This is the most common. May give up a little.

Bottom Line

I can not tell that big a difference from the dyno sheets that have been posted. Both seem to be quality products. The most I will ever do to my car is a cam. So, I’m leaning towards the Supermaxx headers and $500+ bucks in my wallet.

More info is always welcomed! Also, I know all of you will, correct me where I am wrong.

Take care,

·
Registered
23 Posts
One last thing,

IMHO, the big advantage to both of these headers is the 1 3/4" 32" primary tubes. I think for more cubes the 1 7/8" is better.

Rick

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Your assumption that a 2 /1/2" pipe reduces flow from a 3" pipe is wrong.

It all depends on where the 2 1/2" pipe is in the system and what the application is.

It has been shown that loosing CATS, increasing pipe size to 3" reducing back pressure and scavanging can actually reduce HP and flow.

It is important to keep flow velocities up as the exhaust gases cool downstream. This can be effectively done with a reduction in pipe size to 2 1/2". This retains exhaust gas temp., maintains flow, increases scavenging, increases HP and increases Torque.

The exception is when displacement is increased along with head and cam. Then a larger pipe may be benefiicial.

·
Registered
23 Posts
DJWorm said:
Your assumption that a 2 /1/2" pipe reduces flow from a 3" pipe is wrong.

It all depends on where the 2 1/2" pipe is in the system and what the application is.

It has been shown that loosing CATS, increasing pipe size to 3" reducing back pressure and scavanging can actually reduce HP and flow.

It is important to keep flow velocities up as the exhaust gases cool downstream. This can be effectively done with a reduction in pipe size to 2 1/2". This retains exhaust gas temp., maintains flow, increases scavenging, increases HP and increases Torque.

The exception is when displacement is increased along with head and cam. Then a larger pipe may be benefiicial.
I agree. I guess I should have said could flow more volume. Great info.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
forloop said:
Well, I'm not a header engineer by any means and it is very hard to compare these products side by side.

But, here is what I have learned.

LGM Header

Cost $500 to $600 More
IMHO, because LGM does not manufacture it. Borla does. So there is an extra middleman

3" to 3" Cat
Better flow, maybe worse on emissions

Merge Collector
Proven to provide Torque and HP. Catch, they seemed to need to be adjusted to a particular car. Which is why they are normally slip-on. Also it is normaly not that much. Does it help, hard to say?

Only two oxygen bungs.
I think this has been changed or is in the process. If only two then simulators will be needed
Mine has 4

Cats not close to stock location
This may cause it to be harder to pass a visual inspection. If this causes the cats to heat slower or not enough, it will hurt emissions.

X Pipe in front of Cats
I read this may help HP/TQ. I have not seen the science behind it yet. So I cannot judge for myself.
You can put the cats ahead of the X-pipe as I did and are in relatively the stock location as they can be with 32" headers.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
DJWorm said:

Can you show 1 instance where that occurred on a Z06?

DJWorm said:

Or forced induction :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Welcome! The LG's get my vote. Will be finishing up installing mine this week!!! :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just had the Supermaxx system installed. Super nice. Really made a nice difference, great sound improvement. :yeadog:

·
Registered
23 Posts
eamador11 said:
Dude, you dont have kooks up there. Get Kooks 1 3/4", they are the best hands down!
Kooks are good headers from what I have read. Could you do a compare like I did on the LG's and SuperMaxx?

Thanks,

Rick

1 - 20 of 32 Posts