Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a cam when I have my long tube headers and under drive pulley installed. However, I really want a cam that won't destroy my MPG and that i can beef up the valvetrain for only once (ie. do the springs w/cam install and then put 50K troublefree miles on without swapping the valvetrain). Any thoughts? Performance numbers are not #1 driveability and reliability are really most important but since I'd be doing the pulley anywyas I thought I'd sneak a cam in there as well.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Ive got a TR227/224 Cam for sale. Specs can be found at thunderracing.com. Its a great cam, nice and smooth, nothing extreme, but will add good power with supporting headers, etc (People got over 400rwhp on 91 octane in CA).

Its new in the box, let me know if youre interested. (I personally went with a much more violent cam that WILL require some attending to).

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
thefritz1 said:
I'm looking at getting a cam when I have my long tube headers and under drive pulley installed. However, I really want a cam that won't destroy my MPG and that i can beef up the valvetrain for only once (ie. do the springs w/cam install and then put 50K troublefree miles on without swapping the valvetrain). Any thoughts? Performance numbers are not #1 driveability and reliability are really most important but since I'd be doing the pulley anywyas I thought I'd sneak a cam in there as well.

Any thoughts?
I just answered your other post where you stated you only had $1,200 to spend and what mods to do! :roll: Now you are already adding headers and may be a cam (well over your $1,200 budget). :-? I don't have any more thoughts. :screwy:

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think I ever started a thread stating I only had 1,200 to spend. I did start a thread asking if 400RWHP was possible as I'm not sure if I really want to go cam. Truth is I have zero to spend but that has never stopped me before. :) Sorry if I confused you but thanks for your input in that other thread non-the-less.
rpallas said:
I just answered your other post where you stated you only had $1,200 to spend and what mods to do! :roll: Now you are already adding headers and may be a cam (well over your $1,200 budget). :-? I don't have any more thoughts. :screwy:

Bob

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Call 21MC or LPE and ask about their GT2 series cams. I briefly inquired about them a year or so ago and was told they were pretty mild. I don't think post the cam specs so you'll have to call them.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yeah, you may want to contact LPE. All of the shelf comp grinds on XE and XEr lobes are pretty aggressive to try and get 50K miles out of. Shops like Thunder, LG, MTI, etc, etc do not cater to cams that are easy on the valve train. I would contact LPE and ask them. Heck, even the stock Z06 cam is a little hard on the valvetrain, I plan on swapping mine when it runs out of warrenty.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Pakisho said:
Ive got a TR227/224 Cam for sale. Specs can be found at thunderracing.com. Its a great cam, nice and smooth, nothing extreme, but will add good power with supporting headers, etc (People got over 400rwhp on 91 octane in CA).

Its new in the box, let me know if youre interested. (I personally went with a much more violent cam that WILL require some attending to).
That TR cam you are selling is a good one. Which one did you switch to and why.

D.J.

·
Registered
413 Posts
something around the size of 228/114* is a good tweener cam, not to small but not so big you comprimise drivability.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I went with a G5X3 instead. Cam was never installed, and is gathering dust in the closet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you still have the G5X3 cam? I will buy it.

_Chris

·
Registered
84 Posts
I see that. 3 more years, all the more dust.

;)

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Call 21MC or LPE and ask about their GT2 series cams. I briefly inquired about them a year or so ago and was told they were pretty mild.
Well, that may be what they told you, but I had one in my C5Z in a 427 C5R block and it was certainly not mild as those here who heard it will testify.

To quote John Page when I asked him about it "It's pretty radical" Then later, and I quote, "It's the best sounding 427 we've ever done." He wasn't kidding.

There are certainly more aggressive cams, but the GT2 series will never be mistaken for stock or anything close to it, I assure you.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Any thoughts?
stock cam :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts