Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find the best way to get my car from Alabama to Washington State, preferably in one piece. :)

I searched other threads and came up with Intercity Lines, Inc. as recommended by one forum member. Is there another company anyone knows of with a good reputation and "what it takes" to deliver the car without beating it up on the way? :)

Any recommendations on covered/enclosed or not? Is it worth the extra money? (HarleyB, I saw your picture... ouch!) Even at $1,500 for the trip, I still saved $3k over buying the car locally. :)

Thanks for any help you can give me!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm going to be shipping from Maxie Price in Georgia to Los Angeles my 02 Z real soon.I've done much looking into this company and am 100% confident they are the best.See attached picture of other forum member who used them.For more info go to: www.intercitylines.com Ask for Jeff Degnam:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Special Delivery

Intercity has a GREAT rep, look at their client list on their site, look at their equipment, look at their testimonials, they all add up to a first class car carrier. I may use them, I haven't decided if I I will drive mine back of have it trucked.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Jim -- congrats! Looks like you tracked down your TR Z, and a good way to get her home. Can't ask for more than a cover over the car that's already in a covered trailer! It should arrive in great shape.

Let me know when you get it :D.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
jimlab said:
Spoke too soon... Intercity doesn't serve that "line" (Alabama to Washington) apparently, so they can't help me.

Horseless Carriage is next. :)
Jimlab - you'll like Horseless Carriage - Ferrari does :D

Let us know how it turns out !

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ouch...

Now I know why I needed the discount on the car. Horseless Carriage just quoted me $1,850.00 to deliver from AL to WA, and 5-10 days for scheduling and 5-10 days for delivery. Does this sound high or out of the ordinary? I realize it'll be pampered, but I was hoping it would be pampered to the tune of around $1,000-$1,500.

For $1,850, I'll take a week of vacation, fly down and drive it back myself. :)

Any other ideas? Does $1,850 sound reasonable? The potential wait is what bothers me... I'm driving a Grand Am to the tune of $200/week at the moment and don't want to continue that any longer than absolutely necessary. And not just because it's a Grand Am. :)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not that anyone cares, but I chose to go with Horseless Carriage for delivery.

I weighed the price of tickets for my cousin and I to Alabama, transport to the dealership, and then calculated our route back (2,786 miles, roughly), caclulated hotel stays, gas, wear and tear on the car, the monotony of driving 10 hours a day for nearly 5 days, not to mention a day lost flying down, and the week of paid vacation I'd burn up on the trip...

And decided it wasn't worth it. I'd rather have the car show up brand spanking new with 5 miles on the odometer and have to wait than use up a week driving it back and risk something happening on the way.

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions on transport. Horseless Carriage seems to be the best way to go if Intercity can't service your route. I did not find anyone else who would be able to give the car the same care, and most either use a car hauler or worse, contract a car hauler which they don't own, to deliver the car. Umpteen stops, possibly having it positioned on the bottom row, umpteen times moved to get other cars out... not for me, thanks. After long thought, I decided that the car deserves to be pampered on its way to me. :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Jim,

Yes, I CARE !

When the HC truck arrives, make sure to peek inside - they usually have some neat cars they're hauling around.

I've always heard good things about Horseless Carriage.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Guys I dont understand... I thought for courtesy delivery the car
must be delivered to a dealer near you and perform some routine
check (PDI)??

You can actually order it from another state and have the car
deliver to your place from factory?? I assume then you'll save the
deliver charge right?

Thanks,

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Negative. Couresty delivery is for a car *ordered* and purchased through another dealership. For an additional charge above and beyond the standard $645 destination charge, a local dealership may allow the car to be delivered to them on your behalf, even though they were not involved in the sale. The courtesy delivery fee can range from $150 or so on up, depending on how "pleasant" the dealership is about the deal.

The key word here is *ordered*. If the car has already been delivered to another dealership (like mine had), and you purchase it, it will not (and shouldn't be) delivered to another dealership and you will have to arrange for your own transportation, whether that involves picking the car up and driving it home, or (like I did) arranging for a car transport company to deliver it wherever you want it. This fee can range from about $800 or so for an open car hauler to (my cost) $1,850 for an enclosed and pampered voyage from Alabama to Washington state. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts