Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just bought my 03 and it has to stay basically stock for Calif. smog laws. I've heard all this stuff about the different air intakes and tuners out there. If I want to buy one mod, what should it be and how much hp and torque gain am I really going to see? Not knowing better, I kinda believe GM didn't leave much on the table for hp gains from air intake changes?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Where are you at in Cali? Congrats on the car...The absolute best mod for the buck is Nitrous, but you didn't mention how much you wanted to spend...

Greg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Temecula. The Nitrous setup won't pass the visual inspection for smog, plus it would void the warranty. Guess I'm looking for a cheap bolt-on mod that will give me maybe 10-20 hp, but I'm thinking GM has already looked at the easy mods for this?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
firsttimevette said:
Ok, just bought my 03 and it has to stay basically stock for Calif. smog laws. I've heard all this stuff about the different air intakes and tuners out there. If I want to buy one mod, what should it be and how much hp and torque gain am I really going to see? Not knowing better, I kinda believe GM didn't leave much on the table for hp gains from air intake changes?
I installed a vararam and it does work for $325, but a tune would put it on the top, Im running rich so from a dig its not any faster but above 50-60mph you feel it :jammin: I tell you advise people have given me, dont do just one mod because you wont get much out of it, if you do a CAI, get a tune too, if not just leave it alone because its has great power stock :ity:

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
I installed a vararam and it does work for $325, but a tune would put it on the top, Im running rich so from a dig its not any faster but above 50-60mph you feel it :jammin: I tell you advise people have given me, dont do just one mod because you wont get much out of it, if you do a CAI, get a tune too, if not just leave it alone because its has great power stock :ity:
I will give you my impression after installing a CAI recently. I could feel it seat of the pants which for my butt-o-meter says it was good for 10 or more HP. The one thing I noticed is that it seems to pull towards the red line faster then before, and the throttle response seems better. I got mine from FRC Tom a Forum Moderator, and he has a post on here that shows some dyno numbers being worth 20 HP without the tune. I will get the tune at the fest to see if it makes a difference. The one downside I have noticed is that under WOT the noise seems to be higher and it sounds like a gear whine almost from inside the car. Wonder what it sounds like outside the car? :thumb:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
dwjZ06 said:
The one downside I have noticed is that under WOT the noise seems to be higher and it sounds like a gear whine almost from inside the car. Wonder what it sounds like outside the car? :thumb:

you and me are in the same boat, I want my car quiet too :yeadog: , I dont get louder wine at WOT with my vararam, actually the car idels smoother, but if you get up in front of the car you hear the ram sucking in air, and you can hear the throddle opening louder now, I actually had a friends parking lot where I filmed a few donuts and fishtails, :pp: and you could hear the throddle open and close, which was interesting, at WOT I dont hear a diffrence but from 50mph it does rev noticeable quieker :thumb:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
firsttimevette said:
In you are in the area stop and talk to Andy at A&A. He will give you some good idea's.:cheers:

http://www.aacorvette.com/

A&A Corvette Performance
477-A LAMBERT STREET
OXNARD, CA 93036
805-278-4107 or 888-838-8377 (888-VETTEPRO)
805-278-4108 (FAX)
email: [email protected]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Any mod you do that leans out your mixture, air intake, headers, etc. should also have a dyno tune performed after everything is installed. I don't mean the mail order type either. Pay for a dyno tune. If that is not in the budget, leave the engine alone and the car will probably run better. Go to someone that works on Vette's a lot and is highly recommended.

·
Registered
878 Posts
i went with b& b prt's with x pipe, air bridge, coupler, and cut out the air box lid with K & N-or if cheaper use the zip tie ,also have the partition to quiet the cabin noise...it definitely woke up the car..love the performance and sound...
are you going to the vette show in san diego on sat the 11th??
see you there if you go my pic
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74991&page=1&pp=15

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
About a 1100 installed. I'd recommend 3.73 or 3.90 rear gears.

Doesnt' affect emissions compliance and its a kick in @ss for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts