Corvette Z06 Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Great thread DJ. Should be a sticky. Curious about one point, lowering the suspension -- some of the competitors I asked suggested it was not that big a deal. You obviously notice a benefit.

As far as run-what-you-brung, that's fine for regional events and if you're near dead last in the results. If someone protests your shift knob locally I'd slap 'em. But if you're finishing above mid-pack then stick to the rules and at least enter in the right class. They are not that hard to understand and competitors can get picky at National events.

Set-up is important and this thread has a great list. I got a ride in Leslie Cohen's fully prepared Z at a practice and that machine is a different animal than mine, a tenacious beast. But driver skill still means more. Tom Berry can jump into my unprepared car and knock out an eye-popping low time that I could not match if I drove Leslie's. How much does prep matter if you still have a whole second or more to reduce with skill? I've got a friend in CSP who is trying to drop ounces out of his trailer queen RX7 but he and the other two top guys in our local CSP (Miatas) are often separated by only 0.030 seconds!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fun update ... Henry took his Z-06 to ASP after a short stint in SS. Ken M, Henry's co-driver, won the SCCA ASP Solo National Championship in Topeka, KS last year, 2008, with that car. Henry himself has really come along way, considering that at the beginning of THIS thread he didn't know that R tires were allowed in Stock Classes. A few issues ago, he was the featured Pacersetter in the SCCA Sports Car magazine.

Ken:

Henry:

·
Registered
2 Posts
This thread is a little old, but very informative. I have a 2006 z06, would any of the suggested mods change going from c5 to c6 generation?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Overall, I'd so no. Whatever we can do to our C5's you cna to your C6.

This year, they even allow and aftermarket SHIFT KNOB ( no shifter changes though ), so that's something to consider if you don't feel your stock knob is comfortable.

Shocks, sway bar/end links ( FRONT ONLY ) and a good alignment are the best things you can do to improve the car.

Some upgrade their brake pads, but others don't.

Lap belt or harness is an option as well if you move around in your seat alot. I've done ok with just cinching down the OEM belt.

Hope that helps some

41 - 44 of 44 Posts