Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im new to this forum. i am recently in the market for a 2002 zo6 and am relatively good with car knowledge. i just got done building an N/A 350z and it came out good it is just too slow. I have $3000 saved up and am interested in ordering some bolt-ons before even getting the car. i should have the car in about 3 weeks when i get back from vacation. from the little bit of research i have done i have in mind:
-longtubes
-off-road x-pipe
-CAI
-crank pulley
-some sort of tune
I have know idea which brand names are the best and cheapest for this car so im asking for a little help. if i can afford more parts let me know i have a budget of 3000. also any other input for different ways to go please tell me and please use company name that makes the part.

Thanks, Jimmy

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
NastyZo6, Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

-longtubes
-off-road x-pipe
-CAI
-crank pulley
-some sort of tune

All of those are a perfect start and or finish depending on your goals. Remember Z06 can be handful in stock form. Go easy until you get use to all that power. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I agree :thumb: . I have had sports cars for a while now, my previously was a Mustang GT which satisfied me stock for 2 years then with supercharged to a 400rwhp was fun, and now with the z06 for 2.5 years and still bone stock and enjoying it, not one regret of aftermarket, so far I have a Vararam waiting in the garage for sometime to install, but just for the hobby, if not It would still be bone stock :pp:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IT L GO said:
NastyZo6, Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

-longtubes
-off-road x-pipe
-CAI
-crank pulley
-some sort of tune

All of those are a perfect start and or finish depending on your goals. Remember Z06 can be handful in stock form. Go easy until you get use to all that power. :cheers:

thanks man, any idea on a good name brand for best bang for the buck on those exhaust mods? also which CAI seems to do the best on these cars?This will be it for a few months for sure but eventually i will defintely go for more power. lol

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'll put my vararam on in a couple of weeks and let you know how it feels, everyone says its the best as you can feel its added power over 70mph especially, If that's the truth for any CAI to have noticeble as much as you can feel, then that's a hell of CAI, well see ;)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
NastyZo6 said:
thanks man, any idea on a good name brand for best bang for the buck on those exhaust mods? also which CAI seems to do the best on these cars?This will be it for a few months for sure but eventually i will definitely go for more power. lol
Nasty you are very fortunate, you have a excellent tuner right in your backyard, AntiVenom.

Addr : AVPRO @ 1810 S. Parsons, Suite 106/108, Sefner FL. 33584
Phn is 813 961 9000

Headers - 3 excellent choices on the market. LG longtubes, Kooks and Supermaxx in that order.

Air intake - I like the VaraRam.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the great info. i'll give them a call when im ready to get everything installed and tuned.

·
Registered
858 Posts
These are the mods I would do:

LT header Kit (LG or Kooks are popular)
Air Intake (Halltech and Vararam are popular)
Underdrive pulley (ASP is popular)
Ported TB (Shaner, Bauer, Fast, are all popular)
Dyno LS1 edit tune (Make a post about Tuners in your area)
LSx Intake (This is expensive for the return but is power none the less)
Catback exhaust (Borla stingers, and B&B PRT are popular) (also expensive for the return) (Would also be very loud with off road X)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sweet, any popular online shops that carry most of these parts?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
NastyZo6 said:
sweet, any popular online shops that carry most of these parts?
Who going to do the install, you or a shop? Contact
AntiVenom and see if they can work up a package price. IMO you will save the most money that way as opposed to buying the parts and then having someone do the install. :cheers:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Best Bang for the Buck Bolt-Ons:
-Vortex Ram Air $220
-Supermaxx Long Tubes w/cats and x-pipe $1300
-Borla Straight Pipes $320
-ported throttle body $250
-computer tuning

This setup would be a little loud w/ the straight pipes, however having cats would help tone it down a little. For a little over $2,000, doing these would add a good amount of power and SOTP effect for little $$$.

·
Registered
6 Posts
LG longtubes seem to be the best bang for your buck. These give about 30 rwhp. LG motorsports sells the version with the hi-flow cats for about 1900.

Paul

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know its a little out of your price range at about $3500-$4000 but you could go with cat-less long tubes, CAI, and a cam package. Depending on how much of the work you can do yourself, you may actually be able to get everything in your price range. Just my $.02

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you are interested in "bang for the buck" , there are 3 things you can remove from your list - Ported TB , underdrive pulley and cat-back system. All of these mods offer very little (if any) performance for the money.
All of the long tube headers make about the same power. At the track , the only difference between one car with one brand of headers and another car with a different brand of headers is the driver. I like the FLP system. I've had their headers on two different Z's and they looked , fit and worked beautifully. The entire system is HPC coated and it is unbelievably easy to switch from off-road pipes to cats , and back again. I like Halltech the CAI , I've always had good luck with them. But again , all of the CAI's will make about the same power. If you're trying to save money , you could always do the zip-tie mod. These two mods , along with a good dyno tune , will get you around 390 rwhp and should keep you happy until you can save up some more "mod" money.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Hindsights always 20/20 so here's my suggestion fwiw..

I'd not buy one bolt on...

I'd have a magnuson supercharger installed w/painted hood for 8 grand. (vette doctors)

Don't bother with the little nonsense...

Its really a very streetable and civilized package and has a 3 year/36K miles. Puts out an extra 100- 150 hp and your done.

Drive up...see the vette doctors in amityville...Fly home from the local airport for a few bucks...Fly back and drive home.

Like I said hindsights 20/20....but rather than nickel and dime yourself with bolt ons...thats what I would suggest..

No headers...
No air intake..
No throttle body...

No nickel and dime crap..JM0 and it comes with a 3 year/36 K mile drivetrain warranty..

If you want..N/A? and no emissions nonsense where you are in fla?

I'd do the 3800 dollar installed Equalizer cam/comp921 springs/kooks header package at TTP in NJ. 433rwhp and a mean beast...

Half the price installed and the same hp ...Give or take a few bucks....

Get the car first would be my first suggestion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts