Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the best all-round Octane Additive for our motors?

I'm specifically interested in an O2/CAT safe product that doesn't foul the plugs with that "red residue/deposit stuff".

Also, it should provide at least a 4+ point boost in Octane.

Oh did I mention ... lead free would be good, too. :crazy:

·
Registered
155 Posts
A gallon or two of Xylene out Toulene should do the trick for a full tanks. It costs $13 a gallon at Home Depot or around $20 for a 5 gallon jug at Sherwin Williams. Both are already ingredients in premium octane gasoline. Someone will surely suggest Torco, but many users have reported getting the red residue on their plugs. If memory serves me right, and it probably won't this time, Torco costs $250 for 6 gallons, but a single quart of Torco will get you up to 100 octane for a full tank of gas. If you decide you want Torco anyway, there's a Corvette guy in LA that sells it. Around the end of the week I'll be posting more info and links about octane products in the sticky I maintain here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=984927

Eugene

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Why do you want octane booster? Running nitrous/FI?

·
Registered
596 Posts
IMO octane boosters only work to a point. They make claims and really don't meet the needs/expectations of the person using them. They are harmful to certain engine components and do damage to the hoses/fuel lines. I use the higher octane fuels; more expensive but reliable and safe for O2 sensors and cats (if you have them) Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Xylene or Toluene isn't an octane booster, its more like cutting your fuel with race gas.

If you're adding a gallon or so to a tank, I'd recommend you add some ATF (lube for the fuel pump), and mineral spirits... I think its like 4oz ATF/1oz mineral spirits to each gallon of xylene.

I've found that Xylene is cheaper, and its 117 octane vs 114.

·
Registered
971 Posts
mgarfias said:
Xylene or Toluene isn't an octane booster, its more like cutting your fuel with race gas.

If you're adding a gallon or so to a tank, I'd recommend you add some ATF (lube for the fuel pump), and mineral spirits... I think its like 4oz ATF/1oz mineral spirits to each gallon of xylene.

I've found that Xylene is cheaper, and its 117 octane vs 114.
What do you think about adding two stroke oil to the Xylene and is Xylene dangerous to the O2's?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Grim -

Toluene and Xylene are already major components of pump gas, so I figured it was safe. I've run up to 30% concentration (for track use) in the desert summer to avoid detonation with no problems.

I've been doing this for over a year now, with no issues. Of course, not continuously as the methlabs have radically increased the price of Xylene.

For a good price comparison check this spreadsheet, and plug in the costs of the different fuels in your area.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Oh, and no idea about two stroke oil. I only use a tiny little bit of ATF, and generally only when I'm running larger concentrations of additive. Just adding the 1.25Gal per tank of xylene to get me to 93octane, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you want to use toluene or xylene, do you simply put it in the gas tank, or do you have to blend it prior to putting it in the car?

Will toluene or xylene ruin the cats?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Why not use unleaded race gas such as Sunoco GT100 or GTPlus (104 octane).

It has the higher octane and is also double refined, has a race additive package and is oxygenated (Not like RFG) and is unleaded.

It's marketed under the "Trick" brand in California.

www.racegas.com

·
Registered
596 Posts
DJWorm said:
Why not use unleaded race gas such as Sunoco GT100 or GTPlus (104 octane).

It has the higher octane and is also double refined, has a race additive package and is oxygenated (Not like RFG) and is unleaded.

It's marketed under the "Trick" brand in California.

www.racegas.com
FYI that's all I use the 100 or 104 from Sunoco and it's great! You can buy it in bulk and have it shipped to your home as well. Good Luck! :guiness:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Antivenom 447 said:
FYI that's all I use the 100 or 104 from Sunoco and it's great! You can buy it in bulk and have it shipped to your home as well. Good Luck! :guiness:
What is the going rate for Sunoco vs. xylene, by the time you have it shipped to your door(pay for special delivery)?

http://garfias.org/~mike/z06/Additives.xls

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Just add some propylene oxide while your at it, or better yet a quart or two of nitromethane. :crazy:

Don't worry, that stuff isn't too volatile. :p

I would just use the 100/104 octane unleaded gas.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
benenati379 said:
Just add some propylene oxide while your at it, or better yet a quart or two of nitromethane. :crazy:

Don't worry, that stuff isn't too volatile. :p

I would just use the 100/104 octane unleaded gas.
That brings back some memories. I stumbled on to the benifits of PROPE back in the early 80's. Thats some good sheet. :thumb: Of course I told everybody I was using it. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts