Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Zo6er's:

Imagine this scenario:

Your LS6 is high mileage and you are starting to contingency plan for a replacement engine as you have sorted out your vehicle. The new ZO6 is not an option.

Decison: Replace the powerplant with a higher torque, CA smog compliant power plant.

Application: Street/road racing course. Bullet proof 510-550 hp/500 plus fttq are the objective) And yes a 5.7 l can produce this, but the objective is to maximize tq per bore/stroke combo withing a low/mid range torqure band without excessively winding out the engine. I need reliable rocket propulsion coming out of the corners and into the straight aways before the next curve without excessive gear changes.

Budget: $10-18,000.

Who would you have build your engine, what specs would you dictate and why?

1. MTI
2. KATECH
3. LINGENFELTER
4. ARE
5. DRM
6. Chuck Mallet
7. Or, Somebody else.

The LS7 engine is NOT an option. Parts from the LS7 as useable, however the crate motor is not. (why? the C5 pcm is binary and not compatible with the C6 mathematical formula algorithms. Plus, CARB will not approve for now.)

Please articulate your selection and if possible, what mods/parts would perform or install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
MTI has the new DevilRay package available. It uses the LS2 block bored and stroked to 427ci. It is supposed to be compatible for use in LS1/6 applications with a few sensor relocations. Not sure of the price just yet. GMHTP had a great write-up on this combo a couple of issues ago. Engine produced over 600lbs/ft and 600hp using a mild cam.

·
Registered
497 Posts
i'd go for MTI.. go check Motor Trend augest issue there's a complete write up on the MTI's devil ray package its $23,995 for the entire package, its very reliable and u can use ur car as a daily driver with the devil ray package because they use a mild cam so the car can be as much streetable as possible

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
dailydriver said:
Okay Zo6er's:

Imagine this scenario:

Your LS6 is high mileage and you are starting to contingency plan for a replacement engine as you have sorted out your vehicle. The new ZO6 is not an option.

Decison: Replace the powerplant with a higher torque, CA smog compliant power plant.

Application: Street/road racing course. Bullet proof 510-550 hp/500 plus fttq are the objective) And yes a 5.7 l can produce this, but the objective is to maximize tq per bore/stroke combo withing a low/mid range torqure band without excessively winding out the engine. I need reliable rocket propulsion coming out of the corners and into the straight aways before the next curve without excessive gear changes.

Budget: $10-18,000.

Who would you have build your engine, what specs would you dictate and why?

1. MTI
2. KATECH
3. LINGENFELTER
4. ARE
5. DRM
6. Chuck Mallet
7. Or, Somebody else.

The LS7 engine is NOT an option. Parts from the LS7 as useable, however the crate motor is not. (why? the C5 pcm is binary and not compatible with the C6 mathematical formula algorithms. Plus, CARB will not approve for now.)

Please articulate your selection and if possible, what mods/parts would perform or install.
Actually the LS7 is your most viable option if you wish to run big cubes and be totally legal in CA. Direct engine replacements from other vehicles that have CA smog legal engines is legal, running an MTI 427 isnt.....

I dont make the rules nor do I follow them, Im in CA my mods are in my sig. But if you want to follow the rules those are the rules....A modified LS2 is still illegal...An LS7 is the only real legal motor.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Have seen several MTI and other brand cars at tracks have issues.
LPE car's in every situation I have seen no problems (although lower in hp by about 20rwhp it seems).
They don't win all those R&T ,etc.. contests by losing motors like others either.

I would not think twice though about going to LGM. I would trust what they do as Lou seems to have done great work for folks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would give A&A Corvette a call. 805 278-4107. Andy does a lot of 427 engines. I don't know about smog legal. You need someone close to you. No matter who you go with, there will be some kind problems here and there. Andy is in Oxnard.

Steve

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
the LS7 PCM may not be setup the same way as the C5, but that doesn't mean you can't use your current PCM with an LS7. You may have to monkey with the sensor locations, and extensively tune your PCM, but its not like the LS7 is some alien experimental technology that won't run with our normal PCMs.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I would choose MTI, KATECH, LINGENFELTER, DRM, Mallet, LME or Synergy Motorsports. Specific knowledge of road race engines. Don't be a gunnea pig.

Top dogs being.
DRM
Synergy Motorsports (Northern Ca.)
LME
being at the top price/quality/delivery

MTI, Unless you get Wayne or Jayson to wrench your engine.
LPE & Mallet. Mallet is in Southern Ca.. Pricey.
Katech. Pricey. Southern Ca. They did all the C5R's and do do all the C6R's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts