Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys find to be the best shift point for 1/4 runs? I ran my car to a best run of 11.98 @123 and I shifted at 7k. I made it through the traps at 7k RPM in 3rd gear. Do you think better times would be achieved shifting at 6500 rpm and going through the traps in 4th gear?

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dropped 3/10th just by shifting at 6500. My mph is now 125 through the traps
Nice driving, im going to have to try that, I thought saving a 3rd to 4th shift would be beneficiary. I guess not. Is that run with street tires or DR's?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Street Tires. would love to try some DR's. I have heard they make a huge differance.
Very Good Times! My best is 11.93 but I'm hoping to improve that next week at Gainseville.

I think you slip says 1.885 for a 60 ft time. I have not come close to that yet. I think my best 60 ft is around 2.08. What's your secret to a good launch with stock street tires?

I also agree with the earlier shifts. I have not tried 6500 yet. I normally shift around 6800 but I'm going to try the 6500 shifts next week as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I looked over my time slips and my QT times are from 11:67 - 12.19. Almost every 1/4 in the 11.7 - 11.8 range had the 60ft in the 1.85 - 1.90 range. The 12 second QT had the 60 ft in the 2.0 or more. I found the best way to launch was to leave as if you where pulling away from a stop light quick but not too hard. The faster I could get the cluch out and fully engaged the better. Then slowly feather the throttle until you feel the traction coming. The closer I was riding the edge of traction the faster I was.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Most of my interest lies in Road Racing but I plan on trying a new set of tiers at the drags. They are Hoosier A6's Check out this post.
Help Can I run my track tires without sensors?
Jbusa95te

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
As for the best shift point, the cars continue to make power pretty much right up to red-line. But IMO going for 6800 gets you too close to the rev limiter, and if you bang it by mistake on your shift you might not even realize you did but you'll lose time. I have my Raptor set for 6400 and that way I get some margin for reaction time after the light turns on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are we talking completely stock cars here? I know with my car, the cam really comes alive at 3500, and makes power all the way to redline. Just sayin. A different cam might affect your optimum shift points? Or did someone already mention that?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Even a stock motor continues to make additional HP pretty much right up to redline. Mods change the shape of the curve some, and increase the peaks, but the net-net is about the same as for stock. My Vortech really wakes up as the HP gets above 4K, and it continues to pull harder right up to redline. But I don't shift it differently than when it was normally aspirated. You still want to do the same things... maximize time before shifting, shift as fast as you can, keep motor RPMs up on the shift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are your 60 ft.times using traction control,I have had my best 60ft.by doing as you said ,taking off as from a intersection,getting clutch out & standing on it. If I take off traction control,it just lights the tires up no matter what I do.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
If you guys can log with HP Tuners, you want to shift where you keep your torque in the power range. Sometimes extending out 200-300 rpm will be the sweet spot. All depends on your setup.

The sixty foot is best if you can figure out the psi and clutch slip that will give you NO Bog out of the hole. Adjust 1 psi at a time till you hit that perfect spot. A Test/Tune is hard to get enough runs to work it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts