Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The point was made to me,, that the QA1 shocks are not that good... So I was wondering what the best of the inexpensive shocks are... Can't really spend more than $1200 so I have limited options.
Main use is open track days, plus some limited street driving.
02 Zo6.

Here are the options as I know them...
04 Zo6 shocks
Bilstein Sports
Koni Rebound adjustable(orange shocks)
Koni double adjustable(yellow shocks)
QA1 12 way adj. C shocks

I can get a good deal on the koni orange(less than $900), rebound adjustable shocks,, but I've heard that they make the car ride really high? I'm interested to know how these work.

The car is lowered with bolts and cut bushings... Although the ride height is only slightly lower than what you could get with stock lowering.

I currently have the 02 shocks on it and don't really have any problems with bottoming them out,, I know shorter shocks would be better. But as long as the shock is the same length as the 02 or shorter I'll be happy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've heard the Koni SA work well, but haven't driven a car with them. My first thought is that, if you aren't going to a custom valved DA shock, to stick with the '04 Z06 option. Only $300 and work very, very well.
Mike Wood

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Do a cost benefit analysis.

I just sold a set of used, rebuilt Penske DA's for $2,500. I originally paid $3,000 for these new and used them for 3 years.

So my total outlay for these was $500 or $41.66 per shock per year for the best shocks around.

If you leave them on the car it increases the value when sold.

Either way you win. Pretty cheap investment.

The other "cheaper" shocks you mention can not be resold nor do they increase the value of the car and are basically dissposables.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I have the '04 Z06 shocks and I love them. I also put the T1 swaybars on, lowered and aligned the vette-handles great on the track:thumb:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I like koni's. I want to put on my car but havent yet. Don't know why they would raise ride height.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are you good enough that you can you really feel the difference in adjustable shocks? (honestly, not just "mental")

we all like to believe we are great drivers but i've seen LOTS of people spend the extra money and "adjust" themselves right off the track.
If your car is truly a mostly track day car, a better investment might be the T-1 spec sachs shocks. Non-adjusting black tubes, but they are valved for properly.

i've been involved with a T-1 team that spent an entire day testing with SA and nitrogen preload, only to slap the t-1's on and lose less than 0.5 sec. For them 5x the price plus testing to set up was worth it.

Double adjustable are great for dual purpose cars, but to get the full benefit you still have to have the rest of the package; springs and bars.

Be honest with yourself.

I have to do the same reasoning everytime i want to spend my money.

·
21,351 Posts
I just put a set of 04 Z06 shocks on my car and it's a marked improvement. Nice bang for the buck mod!

·
Registered
558 Posts
What Jub and blkz06 said unless you are already exceeding the car's stock potential. There are not many add-ons, if any, for the Z06 that will make you a better driver except seat time with training.

·
Registered
249 Posts
im also looking into shocks... my car would only be an occasional racer. while i have been taught to drive by seasoned racers, and my driving style complimented, i dont consider myself much of a good driver and am not very competitive. but having something that feels really good and i know makes a big performance difference is very important to me. i really want something thats just stiff, will go with polygraphite, and big sways. the car will not be lowered. but the problem is, they must be cheap... despite their high resale value, i dont think i can afford the penskes, and frankly probably dont need them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I go with the above guys. You didn't say what year your car is, but if it has the Bilsteins, I'd get them revalved. cheap, bang for the buck, and untill youget to the front of the T-1 pack, you won't really tell much difference in lap times. IMHO.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
On the other end of the spectrum:

Moton has just released the new 4 way adjustables as used on the C6R
These have 15 settings each for High & Low shaft speed Bump and High & Low shaft speed Rebound. 60 different settings per shock.
These are a direct bolt on for C5/C6/C5 Z06/C6 Z06.

$10,200 for a set of 4 Non-Coil Over

$10,500 for a Coil Over set of 4

DA Penske's look like a real bargin now.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Shocking!!

Only 10.5 for a set of shocks?
anybody tried Ohlins? Last year I talked with Scotty B and Cindy lux(at my home track) just before they switched to Vipers they were trying to work a deal with Ohlins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts