Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which are the best spark plug wires for our Z's- do we/I need to use some type of insulation for the boots??
What resistance sure I look for ?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,548 Posts
I don't know if they are the "best" but, I've been using MSD wires for the last 30K miles and haven't had a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
The stock wires are more than adequate for the job at hand. If the stock wires are in good shape there is no need to change them. If you do you won't see any improvement. If the stock wires are in need of replacement, then the best wire available is Magnecor. Anytime you see a comparison between spark plug wires, you never anyone compare there wire against Magnecor unless they want to come in second.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80999&highlight=spark+plug+wires
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63946&highlight=spark+plug+wires
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,491 Posts
Magnecor KV85 Race Wires.

Another option would be Nology's Capacitive Discharge "Hot Wires". These have been shown to speed up the burn while making it more efficient. Some indicate a small increase in HP.
The problem with these is they MUST be installed correctly and be meticulously grounded properly. I also recommend installing their HD grounding strap (you'll need 2).

If you are considering changing the wires I also recommend changing the plugs. Nology also carries the best plug IMHO.
Beru Silverstone Racing Plugs.

If you have headers I recommend Kool Socks as well.

There is also now a coil replacement available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
Can someone PM me a vendor's name that carries the Magnecore? CG used to carry them but they don't anymore.

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
IT L GO said:
If the stock wires are in need of replacement, then the best wire available is Magnecor. Anytime you see a comparison between spark plug wires, you never anyone compare there wire against Magnecor unless they want to come in second.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80999&highlight=spark+plug+wires
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63946&highlight=spark+plug+wires

Why is the Magnecor wire the best wire?

Their composition is nothing special and their resistance is 2000 Ohms per foot (DATA ). Compare that to Moroso Ultra 40 (40 Ohms per foot DATA ) or MSD Superconductors (40-50 Ohms per foot DATA ).

The links you posted don't really prove that they are the best. (I always try to stay away from that word because it is so subjective.)

I can't see how changing wires can make any appreciable difference to the stock LSx ignition system, but I could be wrong. It isn't some high output race ignition system, nor is it a high compression motor running alot of timing where it would benefit them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
benenati379 said:
Why is the Magnecor wire the best wire?

Their composition is nothing special and their resistance is 2000 Ohms per foot (DATA ). Compare that to Moroso Ultra 40 (40 Ohms per foot DATA ) or MSD Superconductors (40-50 Ohms per foot DATA ).

The links you posted don't really prove that they are the best. (I always try to stay away from that word because it is so subjective.)

I can't see how changing wires can make any appreciable difference to the stock LSx ignition system, but I could be wrong. It isn't some high output race ignition system, nor is it a high compression motor running alot of timing where it would benefit them.
I'll chime in here with some info the reason they are better is the insulation stays right it doesn't cook and turn brittle and break. the boots are good too. the resistance per foot really isn't an issue. as long as the wire can carry the current it will not make a difference. the problem is when the wire (or psuedo wire) can't deliver the current and limits the power delivered to the plug. this usually happens with the graphite impregnated cores as the graphite seems to go bad and limit the current flow. so what we really need is good insulation so it doesn't short to ground and sufficient ability to deliver the current flow to the plug. On top of that it would be real nice if the wires & boots would not turn brittle and go bad real fast. Magnecor fills the bill on all counts.
I've been using them on corvettes for 100,000 miles now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
Ernie, thanks for the write-up.

Alex :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
ErnIeN85 said:
I'll chime in here with some info the reason they are better is the insulation stays right it doesn't cook and turn brittle and break. the boots are good too.
What is different with the insulation? The composition is not dramatically different and the temperature ratings are not anything special. If you were to get say the Moroso wires... you would not only get high quality insulation, but you would also get a high-temp insulation sleeve in addition to the wire for extra protection. Been running this set-up on my race car for close over 15 years with out ever "cooking" the wire or having it turn brittle on me. The boots have always remained in good shape with a good seal and "snap".

ErnIeN85 said:
the resistance per foot really isn't an issue. as long as the wire can carry the current it will not make a difference. the problem is when the wire (or psuedo wire) can't deliver the current and limits the power delivered to the plug. this usually happens with the graphite impregnated cores as the graphite seems to go bad and limit the current flow.
Magnecor, MSD, Moroso, Accel, and a bunch of other all use the same spiral wound cores and can easily deliver the current. As long as the wire can sufficiently suppress EMI (and the others do), then I would think that the lowest resistance per foot would be a benefit... it may be negligible but it definitely isn't a benefit to have 50 times the ohm resistance than the other wires out there.


ErnIeN85 said:
so what we really need is good insulation so it doesn't short to ground and sufficient ability to deliver the current flow to the plug. On top of that it would be real nice if the wires & boots would not turn brittle and go bad real fast. Magnecor fills the bill on all counts.
I've been using them on corvettes for 100,000 miles now.
Yes, I would agree with you that we need good insulation, and good boots, but the MSD wires and Moroso wires "fills the bill" on all counts too. Are you saying that the other brands I mentioned don't have good insulation? I just don't see how this information makes the wires "better" in any way from the competitions wires. I would agree they are better than the stock carbon wires, though. I also don't see any magnecore wires on any pro-stok, top alcohol, top fuel, or even at my local track (sorry no first hand experience with other types of racing). If they were that much better, I would thought I would have heard about it and seen it alot more than I have. Most engine builders I know recommend Accel, Taylor, MSD, or Moroso.

Not trying to argue, but if there is a benefit to using them over my Moroso Ultra 40's then I would like to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
[


Yes, I would agree with you that we need good insulation, and good boots, but the MSD wires and Moroso wires "fills the bill" on all counts too. Are you saying that the other brands I mentioned don't have good insulation? I just don't see how this information makes the wires "better" in any way from the competitions wires. I would agree they are better than the stock carbon wires, though. I also don't see any magnecore wires on any pro-stok, top alcohol, top fuel, or even at my local track (sorry no first hand experience with other types of racing). If they were that much better, I would thought I would have heard about it and seen it alot more than I have. Most engine builders I know recommend Accel, Taylor, MSD, or Moroso.

Not trying to argue, but if there is a benefit to using them over my Moroso Ultra 40's then I would like to know.[/QUOTE]

Well, over the years I've used or tried quite a few. and here is what happened. Accell I thought they worked well but didn't last too well. when it was time to change plugs I had trouble with connectors & boots.
MSD & Moroso both were "leaky" when you put the hood up on a real dark night it looked like a minature thunder storm in there.
Magnecore. well they went on soft and supple and stayed that way! for over 100,000 miles now! On my 85 (my son has it so I know)
Darn no I can't see any difference righ out of the box.
but time seems to tell a different story. So if you won't keep your car or have a compulsion to change wires & plugs then it probably doesn't matter.
But for me I know they have worked well (no leakage) and seem to out last others. on a side note one of the off brands from Mid america also worked well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
Can someone PM me a vendor's name that carries the Magnecore? CG used to carry them but they don't anymore.

Alex
Tbyrne carries them. Link on the left.


Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
spdrcrj said:
Tbyrne carries them. Link on the left.

Jim
Thanks

Alex
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top