Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Stock Z06. Not a daily driver per se, but is driven 3 to 4 times per week. I try not to drive in the rain, but living in Southeast Texas it could be gorgeous in the morning and a flood in the afternoon. I want something that hooks well. I do not autocross. Looks also are a factor. I'd like to be able to get more than 15,000 miles out of them as well. Budget is ~1200. Thanks guys and gals

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have been happy with my Kumo MXs. I have gotten caught in some real rain a couple of times, and they were an order of magnitude better than the supercars. I was on my way back from an autocross, and they worked well there, but like you, I drive mine as a casul daily driver mostly.

I can't say what the life will be on them yet, but they look great with ~7000 miles on them right now.

I got mine mounted for under $1000 :)

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
For the money the Firestone Wide Ovals are the best tire on the road. Great rain tire, smooth and quiet in dry conditions, decent hook at a stop light, and at only $700 for all four, you can't beat em...

Mark

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
mdickie said:
For the money the Firestone Wide Ovals are the best tire on the road. Great rain tire, smooth and quiet in dry conditions, decent hook at a stop light, and at only $700 for all four, you can't beat em...

Mark
I just changed my F1's to Firestone also...totally agree. With the price and performance of the tire, can't beat it. I paid 207 a piece for the rears

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys... I have narrowed my choices down to the following tires.

Firestone Wide Oval
Toyo Proxes T1-S
Kumho Ecsta MX
BF Goodrich KDW-II or NT

I really like the aggressive tread pattern of the KDW-II's (flame pattern), but I cant seem to find the correct sizes.

295/35/18 and 275/40/17

If I could find those sizes then that would be the tire for me. I like the Kumho tread pattern, but to me the sidewall is too busy with designs and such. The Firestone is only a possibility because of the price. I'm not real enthused about the tread pattern there. I guess characteristics in order of importance would be treadwear, looks, straight line performance. I dont specifically need a fantastic wet weather tire, and I definately dont need a tire made for the twisties.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I am also needing rear tires on mine. When I see an expensive vette I always look at the tires the owner has on it. Most of the time the replacement tires that are put on are some brand other than what came on the car because the owner just cant afford the stock replacement tires. Since I am not replacingthe fronts as they still have half their life left, I will go with the F1's on the rears again just to keep it the same front/rear.

·
Registered
611 Posts
i think nitto's are the best ,but since there not on your list i'd say the toyo's by far , good luck let us know what you decide :z:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Ive been looking at the Nitto 555rll's and they look pretty good and a little wider also since they are 305/35z/18's. I was going to go with the F1's, but even when im 3/4 throttle around town they are spinning in 1st and 2nd. Im just not sure how the Nittos would be for a daily driver and freeway trips.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Enviroag02 said:
Thanks for the input guys... I have narrowed my choices down to the following tires.

Firestone Wide Oval
Toyo Proxes T1-S
Kumho Ecsta MX
BF Goodrich KDW-II or NT

I really like the aggressive tread pattern of the KDW-II's (flame pattern), but I cant seem to find the correct sizes.

295/35/18 and 275/40/17

If I could find those sizes then that would be the tire for me. I like the Kumho tread pattern, but to me the sidewall is too busy with designs and such. The Firestone is only a possibility because of the price. I'm not real enthused about the tread pattern there. I guess characteristics in order of importance would be treadwear, looks, straight line performance. I dont specifically need a fantastic wet weather tire, and I definately dont need a tire made for the twisties.
I've had the KDW-2s on my Tripleblack C5 since November in 19 & 18 size and I love the tires.
They are ranked very highly on The Tire Rack.
See for yourself.
They also look very aggressive.

I just put them on my wife's 02 Z06 last Friday.
Front: 255x40x17 ( The visual difference is very minimal.)
Rear : 295x35x18

The tires look great on the Z.

See this thread. Member OutlawDon posted a picture of his car with the tires on it.
His feedback helped me make my decision.

Thanks again Don! :cheers:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85773&highlight=tires

Best regards,
Pedro

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check out onlinetires.com. They have the new Toyo T1 R's. Fronts are about $143 apiece and the rears ran me 212 a piece. They look good also.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Considering that the C6-R's are running Michelins would be my best bet. That will be my replacements to the F1's.
Bought as set of Michelin EMT's Pilot Sport for my wife's 50th AE convertible for $950 not including mounting and balancing.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Anybody want the Firestone Wide ovals with about 1,000 miles on it from a local Z06 owner who traded in his car this week for a Chevy truck.

he took the firestone wide ovals off with a thousand miles...

He wants 500 plus shipping....

Let me know....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wide Ovals

Well I didnt see the previous post before I had purchased the Wide Ovals. Discount Tire matched the lowest price I could find. I got all four with road hazard, mounting/balancing, and tax for $897. I had the chance to drive them in the rain today and they handled very well. I like the way they look as well. There are some groves on the very outside of the tread that give it an agressive look from the side. The also have slight ridge to protect from curb rash. Overall I would rate these tires pretty high. I havent tried a hard start with them on dry pavement but when I do I'll report back.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Enviroag02 said:
Well I didnt see the previous post before I had purchased the Wide Ovals. Discount Tire matched the lowest price I could find. I got all four with road hazard, mounting/balancing, and tax for $897. I had the chance to drive them in the rain today and they handled very well. I like the way they look as well. There are some groves on the very outside of the tread that give it an agressive look from the side. The also have slight ridge to protect from curb rash. Overall I would rate these tires pretty high. I havent tried a hard start with them on dry pavement but when I do I'll report back.
For anyone in the NY/NJ/Ct area that wants these Firestone wide ovals mounted and I believe balanced for $500 dollars Give me a hollar.

I asked the gentlemen who traded in his Z06 who happens to have some very expensive wheel mounting machines...(does runflats safely and he's very proud of it....if he would mount the tires for some one local if they bought the tires and he said yes...

This is really a great deal. $500 and the tread is 10/32nds...

Otherwise its $500 plus shipping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts