Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sure this question has been asked countless times, although I have found limited posts through searching. However, I'd like some advice given some contraints I must live within.

I have a 2004 Z16 that I want to mod for some extra power (more focused on torque than HP). I don't want to invalidate the factory warranty due to currently low mileage, and I don't want to replace the carbon fiber hood, so no magnussen.

I am looking for advice on what I can do without invalidating the warranty, and how I might get the most bang for the buck within my budget of $2800-3000 (including installation).

I am currently planning on getting a Dynatech SuperMaxx LT header system ($1250 + shipping + $800 installation) and a VaraRam B2 induction system (around $600-700 parts and installed).

Is this a reasonable way to spend my budget, and will my warranty remain in force (given no internal engine work). Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.

Doc

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
C5Pilot said:
I am sure this question has been asked countless times, although I have found limited posts through searching. However, I'd like some advice given some contraints I must live within.

I have a 2004 Z16 that I want to mod for some extra power (more focused on torque than HP). I don't want to invalidate the factory warranty due to currently low mileage, and I don't want to replace the carbon fiber hood, so no magnussen.

I am looking for advice on what I can do without invalidating the warrantly, and were I will get the most bang for the buck within my budget of $2800-3000 (including installation).

I am currently planning on getting a dynatech SuperMaxx LT header system ($1250 + shipping + $800 installation) and a VaraRam B2 induction system (around $600-700 parts and installed).

Is this a reasonable way to spend my budget, and will my warrantly remain in force (given no internal engine work). Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.

Doc
Doc,
A cold air intake and LT headers are great bang for the buck mods IMO. I think $800 is WAY too much for installing the Dynatech's, as they are not too hard to install and fit great. THe Vararam install isn't that tough either, no more than 2 hours if you have access to a lift. My header install took me 6 hours using a lift at my friends shop. If I were you I would do some shopping around as far as install prices go, and there are other ram air systems out there that are not as pricey as the Vararam and MUCH easier to install.
Send a PM to FRC Tom, and get a price on his "Mo-Flo" intake
It is an easy 30 minute install and works as good or better as anything out there! Tell him I sent ya! :z: Jim

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Shorter Gears like 3.90 or 3.73 will make you car fell like you added 50 HP. :z:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. I will shop around some more for the install (I guess using a Corvette shop is not an absolute must if it is a simple install), and I will research your intake recommendation.

It L Go,

Thanks, but I guess I should have added one more constraint. I want to get comparable gas mileage (if possible) while I am on the road on freeway driving. Shorter gears will make me cruise at higher RPM, and I assume give me worse gas mileage.

Doc

·
Registered
830 Posts
Like torque? Add nitrous. :D As long as you were willing to uninstall/reinstall every time you went to the dealer, you wouldn't have a problem with your warranty. You didn't mention if you would entertain this idea or not.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You intake & header will only void the warranty of your exhaust system. Take the advise and look else where for a better install price.
This price of $800, does this includes installation and an LS1 edit(tunning) if some it's not too bad...
With these mods and tunning, you should see 380-390 rwhp & 360-370 rwtq- Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jagrmaister said:
Like torque? Add nitrous. :D As long as you were willing to uninstall/reinstall every time you went to the dealer, you wouldn't have a problem with your warranty. You didn't mention if you would entertain this idea or not.
Jagrmaister, I didn't mention NOS as I knew that would invalidate any warranty, and so is not in consideration. Moreover, I really don't want to go that route even if the car was out of warranty due to the wear and tear it can put on the engine. I am looking for more torque without compromising engine life (or resale value).

Doc

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Jz06man,

That price was an estimate for an install only. They charge $80 an hour and gave me that as the estimate. However, I don't know if once I agree to it, they will take their time if it means reducing the bill. Its a little disappointing to hear I'd only get 380-390HP, as the ads imply together I should get at least another 50 HP. Maybe that's all advertising hype.

Doc

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm not sure that much wear and tear is done on cars properly set up for nitrous when used with restraint. Certainly not trying to convince you, but while the horror stories are out there, the research I've done on the forums would suggest if properly maintained/installed/and conservatively used, you could see many many years of engine life with nitrous use. I have not personally used it yet, so I can't add either way...but the kit is on the way as I have been convinced by others as to the durability of the LS1/6 powertrain. Nitrous is also not NOS, for what it's worth.

Regardless. I do have the Supermaxx headers, and was impressed with their quality and good gains for the economical price over other systems. If you're purchasing headers, I highly recommend them for the value. As for the intake, I would purchase any cheaper design, as I feel all will provide similar gains. Look for a Blackwing, Halltech Stinger-R (this is what they called it when I purchased it I believe), etc. Install it yourself, because it takes 15 minutes literally to take the old system off and put the new one on, you'll save yourself the claimed hour to two hours labor fee the tuner will try to pass on you.

If you're hellbent on N/A mods, this is your best bet to void only your intake and exhaust warranty (at least that's how my dealer would view it). The gains you'll see will range, obviously, and you'll need a tune to truly gain every last hp out of the two...Otherwise, you may only see 10rwhp over stock. A LS1Edit will set you back ~$400.

I would suggest a cam to make it worthwhile, but that voids the warranty as well.

A bolt-on Z06 with LS1Edit won't come cheap, but it'll pick up some nice gains. Not sure you'll see the torque gains you're seeking, however. Best bang for your buck would be to get a set of stickier tires over the stock F1SC's, a short-throw shifter, and learn how to drive the car well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jagrmaister,

Thanks very much for the further thoughts. I am a bit confused by your comment that nitrous is not the same as NOS (nitrous oxide system). If you are not referring to nitrous oxide, what do you have in mind? I know there is a lot of debate on nitrous, but the story of it having been used a single time on an engine and a mechanic could tell when he opened the engine on a rebuld convinced me I'd take the conservative route. However, that's me and I wish you well with your setup. Perhaps more important, I am looking for something that is always "on."

Your comments on the intake have gotten me to thinking. A Covette tuner recommended the VaraRam to me, and I've read posts by two different people that removed their Blackwings for a VaraRam and were happy with the improvement. However, that having been said, I am looking for an economical improvement (i.e., why I am going with SuperMaxx rather than LG headers). It does make some sense to buy an intake that I can easily install myself, and then take the $$ I save on the install for something else (such as the LS1 edit you mentioned).

I expect I will put in a cam someday, but not likely until I am much closer to my factory warranty running out. I will probably be keeping this car for a good while. I had planned on getting a C-6 Z06 about 2 years old (after depreciation has taken hold) around 2007, but given the expected prices, this may be my last Vette for a good number of years.

Stickier tires might help torque off the line, but I am not planning on dragging, and I really don't break loose the tires otherwise. A short throw shifter and "learning to drive well" would also certainly help at the drag strip, but probably not much with passing and other around town driving (freeway onramps, etc.) which is where I'd get the most use out of the improvements.

Thanks again for the advice--its greatly appreciated.

Doc

·
Registered
830 Posts
NOS is simply the manufacturer Nitrous Oxide Systems you mentioned, not a grammatical equivalent for "nitrous". Obvious.

I'm not saying the VaraRam isn't a good piece. A lot of guys like them, but then again a lot of guys like any system. I think anything you buy (just like headers) will be within a few hp of one another all over the curve. I suggested the cheaper alternatives for that reason. I like good value with my horsepower, too...I would've kept the zip-tie/open lid mod if the Halltech intake hadn't been $199 at the time.

I'd recommend looking in the used section here and on Corvetteforum for a good intake. Guys take them on/off all the time and they end up hardly used since many Corvette owners don't drive their vehicles much. If you can't wait, I'd find one that you think is going to work and is in your budget and just go with it...because as I said before, they're all pretty much the same in the end and there's no lack of options.

I'd still highly recommend the short-throw shifter. I was never truly satisfied with the stock shifter feel, and I believe the Hurst was the best $150 I spent on the car. You honestly don't realize how sloppy the stock shifter is until you've swapped it, then you'll swear you're never going back to it :) . It's easy to install yourself. This is a must-do imo. :yeadog: :p

Hope I helped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts