Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the final steps of installing a DRM tranny cooler. I installed the line from the drain port and filled the transmission at the fill port. Then I started the pump in order to fill the lines and the cooler (small heat exchanger/radiator).

Now I am thinking that if the new cooler has fluid in it, the level in the tranny will be a bit low. I guess I need to top off the system, but I'm not sure how to best do it.

I thought I would pull the line off the high end of the cooler, which is connected to the fill port on the tranny, and then I could add fluid from there. I was surprised to find that no fluid ran out of the top end of the cooler. Now I'm not sure how to make sure I have enough fluid in the system. I don't want to over fill it either.

Thoughts? :-?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
IndyDave said:
I installed the line from the drain port and filled the transmission at the fill port. Then I started the pump in order to fill the lines and the cooler (small heat exchanger/radiator).
This is exactly how I filled mine. Fill the trans, run the pump till fluid comes out of the line, top off trans, connect line.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I think I do what you are saying. I fill the tranny and prime the pump, then run pump until fluid comes out return line, then stop pump and tie off return line high in tunnel, top off tranny, then hook return line to fill plug. Messy, but I think it is effective.

After I get the pump primed, which is hard, I don't disconnect the drain line on the tranny which goes to the pump. I actually use a feed and bleed approach to tranny fluid changes from that point. I change it pretty often, but only get about 70% of the fluid out. I disconnect the fill line, then turn on the pump and use the pump to pump out just shy of four quarts into a measured jug (tranny is all but dry but pump is still primed and lines still have fluid). Then I fill tranny until fluid comes out fill line (takes just shy of four quarts) then reconnect lines. I get out all the fluid but the few quarts in the lines. :cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts