Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

I am interested in better brakes for my Z06. I dont track the car much, but on back roads around here, I really feel that the stock brakes arent up to fighting 405 hp as well as I want them to!! I currently have a 100 shot, 555RII's, with a cam on the way, and I really want bigger, better binders to round out the package. What are my options? Any brake kits that will fit in 18" Z06 wheels on the front? Will 18" Z06 wheels even fit on the front?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10 pistons! Thats wild. Only problem I see with these is obtaining new rotors, pads etc. in the US could take a while/be cost prohibitive. I'll call and take a look at the prices for America. Anyone else with real-world experience on any type of brakes systems?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
ChaseN said:
Hi all

I am interested in better brakes for my Z06. I dont track the car much, but on back roads around here, I really feel that the stock brakes arent up to fighting 405 hp as well as I want them to!! I currently have a 100 shot, 555RII's, with a cam on the way, and I really want bigger, better binders to round out the package. What are my options? Any brake kits that will fit in 18" Z06 wheels on the front? Will 18" Z06 wheels even fit on the front?

Thanks
I have the Baer Racing Alcon monoblock calipers front and rear. The photo is of rear 4-piston setup on a 13.5" CD/S/Z Eradispeed rotor. I have 18" Fikse wheels on the front and 19" Fikse wheels on the rear. Because of the huge Alcon monoblock calipers, I had to tell Fikse that I was using a big brake kit in order to ensure clearance. I have DRM coilovers but they are not on in this picture. The

The Baer Pro+ and Extreme kits are superlative - the best on the market. Both Callaway and Mallett have been using Alcon calipers for years and they are both awesome tuners

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
806 Posts
ScDFACHE said:
I have the Baer Racing Alcon monoblock calipers front and rear. The photo is of rear 4-piston setup on a 13.5" CD/S/Z Eradispeed rotor. I have 18" Fikse wheels on the front and 19" Fikse wheels on the rear. Because of the huge Alcon monoblock calipers, I had to tell Fikse that I was using a big brake kit in order to ensure clearance. I have DRM coilovers but they are not on in this picture. The

The Baer Pro+ and Extreme kits are superlative - the best on the market. Both Callaway and Mallett have been using Alcon calipers for years and they are both awesome tuners

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:
Nice set-up! :thumb:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
WOW your car looks stunning! I have been looking at the Baer kits pretty hard, and I imagine that if you think they work well reigning in 540 rwhp, they will be good for my little old 440 rwhp Z. I have to figure out what type of front wheel setup would work with these brakes. Do you think the 4 piston 13.5" brakes would fit in 18" Z06 wheels on the front? Thanks.

Edit: On Corvette Garage's page for the Baer brakes, in the picture it has the front set installed inside a 18" Z06 wheel. I guess this means they fit?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Viper Eater and Better Alcon Brakes

ChaseN,

Thanks for the generous compliments. This car has won nine shows in the southeast and is a blast to drive.

Yes, the Alcons are simply phenomenal brakes I've used Brembos on other cars, including a 1994 Steeda Mustang and the Alcons just feel better and stop the car on a dime. I've had them on a local road course and ran them hard for three hours w/o fade. They are just amazing and you can feel the difference immediately. They have saved my ass several times from either tickets or stupid people pulling in front of me.

I would never consider a serious engine upgrade w/o the brakes and suspension to match the power. The Alcons generate nearly a ton of braking torque which is greatly needed if one has 623 lb-ft at the crank and is trying to slow down a 3,100 lb Vette. They look cool and they work great. The C5R team has been using them as well as Chuck Mallett (Green Slime) and Reeves Callaway on his new C6 prototype.

Regarding the Baer webpage: Hal Baer installed 18" front and rear wheels on the torch red supercharged Z06 on his website and the wheels cleared the calipers. Generally, the issue is not the sze of the rotor but the oversized caliper that causes the problems. If you have a specific wheel brake question, call Baer and check with them. When I bought the Fikses, I told them that the wheels were going on a big brake package and they adopted the wheel acordingly. Just make a few calls and check the fitments before you order anything. Also, I had mine powder-coated torch red to match the Z06 calipers - Baer can powder-coat them any color you want for about $300. :ity:

Here are a few more pics...enjoy. :jammin:

Have a happy and safe 4th. :cheers:

Viper Eater

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for the info, I'm probably gonna make the purchase sometime in July. Once again, your car looks amazing! Almost exactly as I would do, given a larger budget.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts