Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 99-00 FRC or an 02-03 Z06???? My thinking is this, if you were planning on doing a heads/cam/intake package, that would essentially nullify the differences between the LS1 and LS6 engines and since Id be replacing the shocks on either car with the 2004 untis, the only difference in the suspension would be the sway bars and leaf springs which could easily be replaced in the FRC. Now, youre down to the biggest difference mechanically being the transmission in the Z06. So my question is, do you think its worth it to shell out 33-34K for the Z06 and have to wait a while to mod it, of would I be better off going with a solid FRC for arounf 25-27 and have the money to start tearing into it immediately?

·
Registered
858 Posts
The two things that would come to my mind would be the LS6 head castings and lighweight valvetrain, and the tranny...I would start with the Z personally the fewer things you have to molest the better...Been there and done that on suspension mods before, and if you can get it right with a factory setup you should.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
My opinion is, If you're going to want to mod it with cams ect anyways and suspension ect, Why not get a not so solid FRC, I've seen them with 50-60k miles for low LOW $20ks, and then you'll have more room to improve the way you want it, I know thats not one of your options as posted, But for what I see you wanted its my Fair Opinion :guiness:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
You can make any C5, coupe, vert or FRC perform to the standards of a Z06, but when all it's said and done it still isn't a Z06. In the case or a 99/00 FRC it may look like and go like a Z06, but it's not a Z06. I guess it depends on what your goals are. :cheers:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
niphilli said:
The two things that would come to my mind would be the LS6 head castings and lighweight valvetrain, and the tranny...I would start with the Z personally the fewer things you have to molest the better...Been there and done that on suspension mods before, and if you can get it right with a factory setup you should.

This is a good point, but in the case of say, the AFR heads, they use LS1 castings anyway. So if you were to do the heads/cam swap on a real Z06, you would end up with LS1 castings anyway. But you are correct on the tranny, which when I got my last Z06 after having an FRC for a while, was one of the first things I noticed......so that may be a deciding factor.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IT L GO said:
You can make any C5, coupe, vert or FRC perform to the standards of a Z06, but when all it's said and done it still isn't a Z06. In the case or a 99/00 FRC it may look like and go like a Z06, but it's not a Z06. I guess it depends on what your goals are. :cheers:
also a very good point, however, Im really more interested in the look of the fixed roof body style, not so much that it is or isnt a Z06. I just think the hard top looks a lot more aggressive than the coupe.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It depends on what you are trying to achieve. Are you looking for a road course car or a 1/4 mile car.

If you are looking for a 1/4 mile car, then a hatchback or convertible with an automatic would be a good choice. Simply throw money at the horsepower and traction parts and you are there.

However, if you are interested in maintaining or improving on the road course aspects, then a Z06 would be a good place to start. It not only has better suspension, transmission and gearing for road courses but it is also a lighter vehicle and a little better balanced.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, Im actually going for a car that will be quick down the strip, but will also be competative on the road/autocross course. Plus, it will be a daily driver. I dont do any kind of serious competative racing, just the occasional drag strip pass at various events and I run the local auto cross whenever the SCCA puts one on. But most importantly it has to be a reliable daily driver. On top of that, I like to tinker. I do 95% of my work myself, so in reality, Im just as interested in the process as the end result.

·
Registered
373 Posts
FLYNAVY30 said:
This is a good point, but in the case of say, the AFR heads, they use LS1 castings anyway. So if you were to do the heads/cam swap on a real Z06, you would end up with LS1 castings anyway. But you are correct on the tranny, which when I got my last Z06 after having an FRC for a while, was one of the first things I noticed......so that may be a deciding factor.
AFR's are actually thier own design and casting. They do use the "cathedral" intake ports and D-shaped exhaust ports from the LS6 design.

I think its really up to you. But if you are going to drag it anyway then you can leave the suspension a little softer (which is better for the strip) and spend your money on go-fast goodies. The tranny is similar to having 3.90 gears and you can put 3.90's or 4.10's on there.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have a friend who has a modified FRC.It's as fast as my stock Z06 and I don't notice any significant disadvantages that the car has on the track.If you were serious about racing and could tell the difference between 1g vs 1.2g,I would say go for the Z06,it's a much better car :z: ,but if you just want to play on the weekends and money is an issue the FRC might be a better choice.Saving money on the car may afford you some tires and headers that would make the FRC competitive with any stock Z06 on the track and it's a cheaper car to insure,should you,dare I say,wreck it. :eek: Throw some Mid America brake ducts on the side,a couple of emblems and noone will know the difference. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'd go with the FRC. Get one with good paint, 50-60k miles for around $20,000. Then, with the 13-15k you saved...

-2004 z06 shocks $313
-z06 instrument panel cluster $510
-T1 swaybar kit $568
-z06 feul rail covers $80
-z06 fender emblems $34
-z06 red calipers $310
-cnc ported ls6 cylinder heads $1800
-Gen 3 Hot-cam kit $410

you can get all these parts from gmpartsdirect, buy the z06 brake ducts from a forum vendor, and for under $5,000, the FRC will look just like a Z, but perform better with the stock showroom racing ported ls6 heads and hot-cam kit from GM.

This still leaves you around $10,000 so...

-Severe duty rear end, 3:73 or 4:10 $1,600
-Aluminum Radiator $800
-Meziere electric water pump $560
-Supermaxx long tubes/cats/x-pipe $1,400
-Z06 exhaust from ebay $400 to $500
-Z06 fog light screens $100
-Fast 90mm manifold $800
-90mm throttlebody $560
-Vortex Ram Air induction $280
-Air bridge $160
-2 piece brake rotors $800
-Underdrive pulley $280
-chrome z06 wheels $1,000

And as for the @$$ who derides you for your clone, he'll be eating your dust. :coo:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
will82 said:
I'd go with the FRC. Get one with good paint, 50-60k miles for around $20,000. Then, with the 13-15k you saved...

-2004 z06 shocks $313
-z06 instrument panel cluster $510
-T1 swaybar kit $568
-z06 feul rail covers $80
-z06 fender emblems $34
-z06 red calipers $310
-cnc ported ls6 cylinder heads $1800
-Gen 3 Hot-cam kit $410

you can get all these parts from gmpartsdirect, buy the z06 brake ducts from a forum vendor, and for under $5,000, the FRC will look just like a Z, but perform better with the stock showroom racing ported ls6 heads and hot-cam kit from GM.

This still leaves you around $10,000 so...

-Severe duty rear end, 3:73 or 4:10 $1,600
-Aluminum Radiator $800
-Meziere electric water pump $560
-Supermaxx long tubes/cats/x-pipe $1,400
-Z06 exhaust from ebay $400 to $500
-Z06 fog light screens $100
-Fast 90mm manifold $800
-90mm throttlebody $560
-Vortex Ram Air induction $280
-Air bridge $160
-2 piece brake rotors $800
-Underdrive pulley $280
-chrome z06 wheels $1,000

And as for the @$$ who derides you for your clone, he'll be eating your dust. :coo:

All very true....the only difference, I wouldnt spend the 34 bucks on the fender emblems....Im not one to advertise my car as something its not. Brake ducts, screens, fuel rail covers, all fall under either performance or aesthetic improvements....the badges in my humble opinion are false advertising. Plus, that extra 34 bucks should be enough to cover the cost of the beerz needed to get me through the install of the above laundry list of parts :guiness:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
All the "it still won't be a Z06" comments and such are really pointless. I guess some of you bought these cars as a status "look at what I have" car.

A Z06 is merely a modded FRC from the factory. If I had to do it over again I'd get the cheapest FRC I could find with nice paint and go buck wild with it. If you're going to mod over all the Z06 differences anyway then why pay more to get things going?

The mn12 tranny is nice, but the mn6 actually has a bit better spaced ratios from 3-5th gears... add some 3.90 gears and you've got the same effect as the mn12.

Now if you aren't into modding then of course go Z06 b/c it allready has everything. To run a DE all you need is some pads/fluid/lower/allignment and a harness is nice.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I faced this exact same question 2 weeks ago, either buy a zo6 and mod it lightly or buy a high milage FRC and mod it really quick. 1 thing that changed my mind on the FRC was, if i get an 99-00 FRC even though it would have a new motor everything else would still have 60K miles, such as the trans,clutch,rear end. And i for one dont want to replace alot of stuff right awway. Plus i dont have a ton of moneyto mod an FRC like heads and cam as soon as i get it.

·
21,378 Posts
Cobra4B said:
All the "it still won't be a Z06" comments and such are really pointless. I guess some of you bought these cars as a status "look at what I have" car.

A Z06 is merely a modded FRC from the factory. If I had to do it over again I'd get the cheapest FRC I could find with nice paint and go buck wild with it. If you're going to mod over all the Z06 differences anyway then why pay more to get things going?

The mn12 tranny is nice, but the mn6 actually has a bit better spaced ratios from 3-5th gears... add some 3.90 gears and you've got the same effect as the mn12.

Now if you aren't into modding then of course go Z06 b/c it allready has everything. To run a DE all you need is some pads/fluid/lower/allignment and a harness is nice.

I would do the same thing. Get an FRC as cheaply as possible because that will leave more money for mods!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
FLYNAVY30 said:
A 99-00 FRC or an 02-03 Z06????
i'd go with the Z06.

i wouldnt have any problem owning a 99-00 FRC... prefer the 00 cause it's got hud (just to have all the options) and the bigger cam over the '99 (even though you said you'd change it). any car it'd have to be low miles. the FRC has a nice history to it preceding the Z06s and is even rarer in numbers than the Z06.

but in the depths of my conscious, having had the Z previously, i might think... desire... to have a 'Z06' and to have even the slightest regret... i'd say i'd (you'd) be better to get the Z06.

hey, that's just the way i am. but think about if you have ever, even the littlest, regretted not buying one thing over another and sometimes paying for it in the end... and if you think you'd have that feeling with the Z then i too would tell you to get what you truely want... the Z.

sure you'll have the money to mod the FRC immediately but doesnt mean you will immediately or the mods happen over time. sh!t happens ya know.

the Z already has crazy power (340-350+ rwhp and 12's in the 1/4) from the factory. some would be happy what it does out of the box and can mod slowly over time.

i got the 'slower' '01 :)... took me 3 years to finally mod with the kooks and the sucker still scares the hell out of me now and then even though i may just be up to '02+ power levels now and am ok with taking my time before my next mods.

i love the stance of the Z with the wider wheels from the factory. u being a previous Z owner, i'd think with the FRC, top priority would be intake, h/c, headers/exhaust (you have 4 cats in an ls1 exhaust!) in one shot to get the power up to respectable levels. otherwise you may feel like a sitting duck with only 300rwhp max. and the wheels cause you gotta have that stance ASAP.

with a frc, I'd go an aftermarket wheel to look different than to follow the Z06 route (kinesis?). those things alone is a hefty drop of $$$ right after a purchase eh?

will82 had posted mods in stages which look good and cheap but in reality will always run a little over than expected. i mean, look at the list...

Do you see labor cost anywhere on that list? even if you do everything yourself, even the h/c install yourself like you did the headers... you HAVE TO factor at the very least in dyno tuning which i didn't see on that list. $400-500 a session and could be a couple of sessions if you break down the engine mods in different stages.

people have had their opinions but i will just say... I LOVE MY '01 Z and say there are good ones out there.

ok, i'll say it again... I LOVE MY '01 Z... i got one of the first ones. Gots power to scare the he!! out of me still. And yes, it does drink some oil (dunno how much cause I don't drive enough)... enough oil to say "so what?" it still runs like stink in over 4 years and i suspect for however long i keep her.

if the oil issue does keep ya from the '01s then i guess you should also think about it.... the oil tsb did include 99-2002 corvettes.

fun thread.

good luck with your decision and let us know.

don

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the post Don....I think Ive decided to hold off and wait until this winter when hopefully prices will drop a little. I decided that Ill look into another 02-03 Z06, the main reason, thats the only hard top body style I can get in Electron Blue, and like you said, I think Id be kicking myself down the road if I didnt get another blue one. That was the deciding factor in shelling out the extra green for the 02 Z initially after the body shop wrecked my 99 FRC. Unfortunately, I went a little crazy with the mods and quickly found the bills to be piling over my head, so it had to go. Hopefully, Ill be able to find an 02 Z in good shape for 30 or so next winter. In the mean time, Ive put my Dodge Ram up for sale since my mom was gracious enough to donate her 300,000+ mile 1992 Toyota Previa Mini Van to the cause (who knows, maybe you'll see me on the next episode of "Pimp my Ride") That way I can add the money that used to go to a car payment each month, to whatever I make off the Ram....and hopefully come winter time Ill have enough to put down half in cash on another Z. Unfortunately, thats not going to make this vetteless summer any easier :drunken:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Most of the people telling you to get an FRC never did get an FRC and just went with the Z06. While they may have went with the Z06 for differnet reasons at the end it boils down to how much of a risk you are willing to take. Any HIGHLY(and by highly i mean the more parts you change) is a burden and a bit$h to have.

One scenario where the FRC would literally Fu*k you is lets say you get it for 20K and you spend 13K modifying it and the week you are done you lose your job and want to get rid of it. Guess what? It aint worth more than 24K at the most! no one is gonna pay for a 1999-2000 cheapest corvettte ever made with mods not even a mechanic can count for more than that.

The MN12 tranny is MUCH better than the MN6, while somepeople think that throwing 3.90s in a MN6 is the same i dont. You can also throw 3.90s in the MN12 and then you will be way ahead than the MN6 car.

·
Registered
266 Posts
jub jub said:
I would do the same thing. Get an FRC as cheaply as possible because that will leave more money for mods!
I'm with Cobra4B and jub jub. If modification are in the works don't spend the extra cash for things you will be replacing.
I was adamant about getting the Z51 package for nothing. As it turned out everything except the power steering cooler from the Z51 package has been upgraded.
BTW, Z51 was impressive in certain situations.

Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts