Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a brand other than Baer that makes a 14" rear rotor kit for our cars? I really need to put some larger brakes on there, but I'm loath to pay $600 for two stinking rotors.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's for cosmetics only. After fitting the 19" IForge, the rear rotors look real wimpy.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
exSSer said:
It's for cosmetics only. After fitting the 19" IForge, the rear rotors look real wimpy.
The larger diameter rotors don't look to nice after some miles.
There is way to much rotor not being used. jmo

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
KCMAGS said:
If it's done complete, they look fine. I think big brakes do make a (big) difference under certain conditions, but maybe not under normal driving. This car stops more consistently under hard repetitive braking than my previous Z with stock brakes.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
FiveOJoe said:
If it's done complete, they look fine. I think big brakes do make a (big) difference under certain conditions, but maybe not under normal driving. This car stops more consistently under hard repetitive braking than my previous Z with stock brakes.

I agree Joe. Calipers & rotors are a different story. :thumb:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Big rear rotors have several downsides, IMHO

There is a big difference in circumference with the 14' replacement rotors, and resulting change in the front to rear brake bias due to the increase in rotor speed at a given road speed. I'm reluctant to alter the bias in favor of the rear, because I'm track oriented. If you put brakes on while cornering, either to trail brake or to recover an overcooked situation, more rear bias will increase the likelyhood of spinning by loosing traction at the rear, due to the increased rear brake bias. I haven't ever seen comments by aftermarket brake manufacturers of software patches for tuning the stability programs either. Even if you are drag strip oriented, you are increasing the rotational weight at the back, increasing drivetrain drag, and reducing potential ETs. I like upgraded disks with stock diameters but lighter weight like Girodisc or others with aluminum hats to reduce rotational weight, but retaining the basic tuning of the stock system.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe, I see you have Wilwoods. Is that the ultralite kit with 13" rear rotors?

·
Registered
638 Posts
exSSer said:
Does anybody know of a brand other than Baer that makes a 14" rear rotor kit for our cars? I really need to put some larger brakes on there, but I'm loath to pay $600 for two stinking rotors.
I know you asked for something other than Baer but maybe you are not aware of the current sale. You are in luck, Tbyrne is selling their Baer Eradispeed 2pc. 14" rears at a discounted price. I just ordered 2 days ago - $389/pair + shipping. They are currently back ordered though and was advised that it could take about 2-3 weeks before I get them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
KCMAGS said:

This was a concern for me before I ordered my 14" rotors. I learned that Baer had redesigned their 2pc 14 inchers by increasing the hat size thus, decreasing the unswept surface of the rotor.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
SexyLex said:
This was a concern for me before I ordered my 14" rotors. I learned that Baer had redesigned their 2pc 14 inchers by increasing the hat size thus, decreasing the unswept surface of the rotor.
I believe they also changed the bracket so the caliper mounts differently and more of the rotor is used :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts