Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the biggest tires that I can put on my stock '02 Z06?

The C5 has a big butt, no doubt. Big rear tires help to visually "shrink" the butt. Additionally, right or wrong, I like the look of big meaty treads on my Z. I'm using the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires now. I'm told BF Goodrich makes something a little bigger but I wanted to solicit experienced feedback before I go shopping.

Any suggestions? :z:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,290 Posts
Are you talking about putting them on the stock rims or all new tire/rim combo? Also if all new, are you opposed to mini tubbing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
With out tubbing and using stock rims and without making any modifications to cooling ducts, the largest tire you can use is 315/30/18. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IM4A2Z said:
Are you talking about putting them on the stock rims or all new tire/rim combo? Also if all new, are you opposed to mini tubbing?
I plan to use the stock rims.

Also, I've been told that tubbing doesn't do a whole lot to increase the overall performance of the Z. Is this true? If not I would be interested in tubbing. I've seen a silver Z that was tubbed and the tires on it were HUGE. Of course, I thought it looked awesome :jammin: . They were as big as a Viper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IT L GO said:
With out tubbing and using stock rims and without making any modifications to cooling ducts, the largest tire you can use is 315/30/18. :cheers:
315/30/18 Cool. Got it. This confirms what I've been told by other sources.

Anyone suggest otherwise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Yep 315/30s... go BFG drag radials and then after a little while you will also need a output shaft... trust me !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stellablu said:
Yep 315/30s... go BFG drag radials and then after a little while you will also need a output shaft... trust me !!
An output shaft? Why will I need an output shaft? Will the larger tires damage the car over time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
You could go with a Nitto 305/35/18. It's wider than what you have and maybe a hair taller. 555DR and 555R II. They have a 100 ware rating I think?

Michelin makes a 315/30/18 PS-2 but it's about .6" shorter than stock. The Michelin has a 220 ware rating I think and costs more. Should last longer.

D.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
I do not think big tires will wear out the shaft but after serveral major launches (trust me for street tires the BFGs hook like you stole something when hot) the weakest link next seems to be the shaft...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
*Homer Simpson* "Ooooooooh.... BFGs"

I just looked them up and they don't appear to last very long. I may have to pass since my Z is also my daily driver. Anyone suggest a happy medium? A long lasting, wide tire, that can also handle some water?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
You are correct probably not for a daily driver... I am sure someone has the answer here to your question. Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,817 Posts
The Michelin PS2's are probably your answer. They hook well, are quiet, pretty good in wet conditions and wear well. They cost a little more, but it's worth it for the Z! :cool:

Bob :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
I already have the Michelin PS2s in stock sizes. I am reading that I could run 315's in the rear instead of the 295s. My questions:

Does the stock rear wheel width properly accomodate/make full use of the 315s?

How much wider (say 3/4 inch?) is the 315 footprint than the 295 for the PS2s?

Does running a 315 in the rear combined with stock size fronts cause the active handling algorithms trouble?

Thanks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
BLEUBYU said:
I already have the Michelin PS2s in stock sizes. I am reading that I could run 315's in the rear instead of the 295s. My questions:

Does the stock rear wheel width properly accomodate/make full use of the 315s?

How much wider (say 3/4 inch?) is the 315 footprint than the 295 for the PS2s?

Does running a 315 in the rear combined with stock size fronts cause the active handling algorithms trouble?

Thanks...
Michelin says they will fit a 10.5" wheel. If you are running stock size tire's of the front it will work. The 315's and the 265 are within .200" of each other with the 315 being taller. I am running the 315/30 PS-2's on the rear on stock Z16 wheels and they work fine. Good in the dry and wet.

D.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
Okay, you guys have peaked my curiosity.

Does anyone have any pictures of stock rims with 315's on them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
Michelin says they will fit a 10.5" wheel. If you are running stock size tire's of the front it will work. The 315's and the 265 are within .200" of each other with the 315 being taller. I am running the 315/30 PS-2's on the rear on stock Z16 wheels and they work fine. Good in the dry and wet.

D.J.

Thanks for the info! :yeadog: Not sure what you mean by "315s and 265 are within .200" of each other? I was concerned that such a size disparity might screw up the active handling. Now I am :cry: that I did not get the 315s! But, if I go 427 this winter, I will anyway! Do your 315's stick out beyond the rear wheelwells? Pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
BLEUBYU said:
Thanks for the info! :yeadog: Not sure what you mean by "315s and 265 are within .200" of each other? I was concerned that such a size disparity might screw up the active handling. Now I am :cry: that I did not get the 315s! But, if I go 427 this winter, I will anyway! Do your 315's stick out beyond the rear wheelwells? Pics?
The .200" is the difference in diameter between the two tires with the 315/30 being .200" of an inch taller than the 265 front tire,(stock size). Do they stick out, no. Do I have pictures, no.

D.J.

:z:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
I have 315/30s and they are dead even with the wheel well (top) if I look straight down the side of the car looking at the ground
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree. Pictures would be great. Before & after pictures would be even betta! If I had the $ I'd post the pics. All I have now is the "before"... :cry:

BTW - It's been awhile since I said this but...

DAMN, I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!

It's just so freakin' fast! (and it's not even mod'd)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a pair of Michelin PSIIs put on yesterday. 315/30 ZR 18. Very nice. I think they're an improvement over the F1 supercar tires. Today I ran them at Bandimere speedway in Denver, CO and got my fastest time yet. I do wish they were a little taller.

By mistake Discount tire also ordered a pair of the same tires in a 335/30. After mounting one of them they looked great! Unfortunately, they rubbed against the rear brake vent and had to come off. Damn shame...
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top