Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've about come to the conclusion that I'm going to keep the C5 Z, not going to trade up for the C6 Z. Just love the notch-back look. Going to do some mods/tune to bump the power close to the C6Z, and get some aftermarket wheels. Wanting a well rounded athletic car. I have 2 concerns with aftermarket wheels:

1. Which wheels weigh the same or LESS than the stock Z rims? I don't want anything heavier, adding to unsprung weight.

2. If you go with larger rims, thus different tires, wouldn't this have detrimental effects? Wouldn't larger rim/tires raise the ride height of the car, and make your speedometer different than your actual speed. What do you do to counter these effects????

Thanks so much for any input in advance. What wheel/tire combo's would you guys suggest for dry weather only and occasional road racing. I rarely drag so this shouldn't be an influence.

Drew :cheers:

·
Registered
299 Posts
If the car is to remain a sportscar and maintain the ability to do corners don't go crazy with wheel size. I wouldn't go any larger than 18" front and rear. Some sidewall on the tyre is a good thing.
Tony #54

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what tire size did you go with on the 18s up front? did you stay with stock size in the rear? Are your CCW's any heavier than stock? Thanks - Drew

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm running 305 front and 335 in the rear. My CCW's are not really a street wheel but they do make a street wheel. I'm not sure about weight on there street wheels. My wheels are less than 18# each.
305's in the front on a street car may rub from time to time. 335's on the rear will rub your fenders I believe. Check with some of the other post on sizing for a street car.
Tony #54

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any other opinions from all you aftermarket wheel guys??

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
My vote would be for the CCW new 18 inch rims they just announced.

Great performance option...Great looking. Great pricing..and light as well. Thats what I would go for if I were spending the money on rims...

Good luck

JB

·
Registered
808 Posts
amriche said:
Any other opinions from all you aftermarket wheel guys??

I have been researching this very topic myself. Here are some things to consider that I found out:

Stock tire height 25.4" (front) 26.1" (rear)
As long as that is maintained you can go larger. The impact is that by doing so you will increasingly lose sidewall height which for handling and cornering is better to have more (height) than less. In many cases unpsrung weight will increase as you plus size but there are some exceptions where you can increase wheel diameter and still have the same wheel weight per corner as stock.

The lightest wheels that I have found readily available and sold in Corvette offsets are made by iForge, Forgeline, Fiske, Kinesis and CCW. In stock sizes (17x9 18x10), the preceeding wheels are as light or lighter than the OEM wheels. The Fiske wheel in particular weighs 16-19lbs in their 17"-19" diameter range FM-10 wheels. Stock wheels by the way, weigh around 20lbs.

As far as tires are concerned the Michelin PS2's are significantly lighter than OEM tires of the same size.
OEM 265/40/17 29lbs MPS2 265/40/17 26lbs
OEM 295/35/18 33lbs MPS2 295/35/18 27lbs

So, if you want you can go with a very light combo in OEM size using for example Fiske FM-10 wheels and Michelin PS2 tires and reduce unsprung weight between 7lbs front-9 lbs rear per corner.

All numbers used came from manufacturer information and/or Tire Rack.

-RR

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Roushraven, you're a wealth of information. I'll have to take a look at the Fiskes. I like the look of the iforged aero's, but didn't see them in stock sizes for the (17") front. Thanks again for your time and thoughts - I love this site!!
Drew :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts