Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I moved to my new shop 2 years ago, in June, I had a "Grand Opening Party" and barbeque. We had about 60 Corvettes and maybe 100 people show up. It was pretty cool.
Last June, when I moved into my present shop, I had another "Grand Opening Party" and barbeque. This was , probably, the biggest private party Corvette event ever. We counted over 300 Corvettes, at one point, and estimates exceeded 500 throughout the day. I had people drive from Texas, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona and caravans from all over California.
I even has a couple of people fly from Florida just to be here. It was amazing! :jawdrop:
I bought 120 pounds of tri tip that went as fast as we could cook it. We made a couple of "Costco" runs to appease the angry "mob" :D
I had a couple of raffles, where I gave away a complete A&A Supercharger system, a set of LG headers, Halltech Stingers, Predator programmers,and more.
I ran 86 dyno pulls and had 4 mechanics installing exhausts, intakes,Frame Savers etc. all for FREE!
Magnuson, Borla, AFR and a few others set up displays and gave away gift certificates to help out. All in all, I gave away about $8,000 in merchandise, food and labor.
I've promised that this will be an annual event. Well, June is coming and this year's party HAS to be the best EVER!
I am willing to put up $10,000 to make it happen.
I want input from everyone as to what sort of prizes to offer, what dates work best, should recipients have to be present to win? etc. I am willing to put up a free forged short block, supercharger system, headers, cams, AFR heads, Exhaust systems etc.
Should I have a couple of big prizes? ( engines, superchargers)
Or a bunch of smaller prizes ( cams, engine parts, heads, exhausts etc.)
Give me some input. This will be the biggest party/ barbeque/giveaway, GUARANTEED!
Last year was huge. I was disappointed, however, that both recipients of the big prizes( the supercharger and headers) sold the prizes immediately. I really wanted to give something away that someone would be really excited about winning and using. This party and giveaway is all about giving to people who love and appreciate the Corvette phenomenon. ( The guy who won the supercharger didn't even own a Corvette! He even had me drop ship it to his buyer! :mad: )
I need some help in making sure that someone who wins a $5000 prize actually owns a Corvette and intends to use it. How do you ensure this without being rude? I just want to make sure that my efforts go to someone deserving and not someone who wants to profit from it.
Maybe insist that the winner have the prize installed at my shop? Help me out.
If this year tops last year, I'm going to have to
rent the Coliseum next year! :lol:
Here's a pic from last year.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I also thought it was kind of shabby that the winner of the blower didn't own Vette. I'm at a loss on how you can prevent this from happening again. :cheers:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Any idea when ur BBQ party is going to happen so i can get that weekend off from work. Being a new z06 owner I'm excited to go to my first event and I really want Andy's BBQ and giveaway to be the one. And if i win anything i promise to have it installed on my car.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hey Andy,

How about a plane ticket for me to attend, meet the man who has created my 750 HP monster (soon to be anyway), and mediate the raffles. :p

You could put a Corvette ownership stipulation on winning the grand prizes. Put it in writing on the entry forms. Anyone with any decency shouldnt mind. And for those who do, good grief, they're getting free food, drink, and a good time, what more do they want from you? I'm actually upset the winner had the nerve to do what he did. I'm sure someone deserving on this forum sure would have liked to have won that set-up.

Jim

·
Registered
780 Posts
We had a great time last year...Looking forward to this year as well. We will brianstorm your ideas / concerns.

Stan & Vicki

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Hi Andi,

Looking forward to this years event. Absolutely had a blast at last years party.

I agree, not too cool for the big prizes be sold for profit. Not really in the spirit in which they were given. As you suggested, having the work done at your shop might be one option. Maybe, when you give the tickets out, the recipients could provide evidence of regisgtration. Or maybe something as simple as a sign above the ticket table stating ya gotta own a vette to get a ticket.

Don't feel comfortable suggesting what to give away to the folks, buddy, its your money, you gotta do what YOU think is right.

Best to Ya

Zrod

Stan, Hope to finally meet ya at this years bash!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
w:)w What a party...Maybe next year when I am in Montana
You are a class guy Andy and don't be bashful about setting the rules for the giveaway...like the man previously said...it's YOUR money

Contest Rules/Restructions Ideas:

* Your Idea of having it installed at your shop is a good one

* Maybe the entrants vette be present to win ?

* Maybe the last six of the Vin# Varified by the owners
registration document to be on the contest entry for drawing.

* Maybe All of The above

I sure as heck would be happy to get my Zee there for a SC install :)

·
Banned
36 Posts
The only thing about having the entrant's vette be present to win, is that it sucks for out of towners that flew there.. What about having to present your Driver's license, to prove who you are, and your insurance card (which lists the car that is insured) to claim the big prizes?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Andy,
You give the supercharger to me and I will guarantee you that I will install it in my vette. I can even provide you with it in writing.

Juan

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Andy - you might want to check with a lawyer about all of this... friendly raffles at private parties are one thing, but when an event gets as big as yours, you should consider protecting yourself from some dope. Also, when the prize is of a high value (you said $5k right?) there are taxes etc to be paid...

Sorry, not trying to be a wet rag, but remember, no good deed ever goes unpunished... oh, and one other thing,in general, people suck.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
A simple rule will take care of most of these problems. The winner must present you with a copy of corvette title in his name. To make sure only corvette owners benefit from this. Good luck and i hope i can enter even if i cant be there.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I definitely want to go up there this year. As far as the winner goes, they should be present and have it installed at the same time. If they don't have a corvette there it will go the next lucky winner. If they don't have it installed by A&A in there corvette, they forfeit their winnings.
:jammin: :jammin: :jammin: :jammin:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Make it a requirement for the winner to show you proof of insurance or install at your shop. I'd pay to have my car shipped for a free supercharger or a forged engine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow Andy, that sounds like a nice party! It just may be worth a 40 hour drive! :D :yeadog: Just get the date figured out so I can book time off work :coo:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like "Andy Dollars" (gift certificates)is the way to go.
I certainly don't want to exclude the members who can't be here, so how about this? I'll have a raffle where every Forum member can enter just by answering a thread on the Forum. This is what I did last year. I'll have gift certificates up to , say, $500. There will be a bunch of $100 ones also. That way if someone wins $500 and doesn't have a Corvette, it won''t be so bad. I really wish people would just be honest and only enter if they want and can use the prizes and not enter 20 times. I'm going to try to sort out the multiple entries.
I'll have a separate raffle for those that show up for the party. These will go up to $2000 for 1st, $1000 for 2nd and some $500 and smaller ones. The odds will be pretty damn good. The ones that are here will actually have two chances. The entry on the Forum and a separate ticket at the party. They can print the page that has their reply to the thread and turn that in for a ticket. Those will have to be present to win.
How's that sound? :cheers:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
andy it's simple. You have to show up in a vette to get a ticket.
Brian

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
What an awesome guy to put something of this magnatude on. :thumb: Unfortunatly there are always some people who are trying to take advantage of someone's generosity. It is your give away so don't think twice about how you want to set it up.

Having the car there is unfair to those who are too far to drive, of course unless YOU want that as a requirement. Having the install done at your shop would be tough for some one who lives far away. Having a copy of the title does not mean the person still has the car or they could have been creative with a copy machine.

I suppose nothing is fool proof but I think having an original insurance card, drivers license, and copy of title all in the same persons name would not be to much to ask for such valuable prizes. :yeadog: Just make the requirements known and if someone does not like it they can go somewhere else for their free stuff. :screwy:

I sure wish you were closer. :cry: Keith: Can I fit in your suitcase? :p

·
Registered
653 Posts
Whoa that is a tough one...sux about the S/C. If you do want to make some prize that big again, it should be must be present and must be installed at your place. You did say that about 300 people first showed up...that is good odds IMO. Have the raffle close to the end of the day, having signed some sort of acknowledgement that it must be installed on their vette and must provide proof of ownership with DL and reg.

You can make PDF form, saying all that and have CA residents join with a faxed copy of their DL Address and REG. If they are not willing to do that...then No need to apply. Hey IF I wanted it on my car, I woulod not have a problem with that.

I say CA because at least you know that they are no more than about 8 hours away from you.

Maybe that person did not want get a S/C, so equivalent prize, but still installed at your place. Like H/C package with exhaust and tune. :D Something similar that I want. hahaha.If you want to still provide prizes to those that are from the forums and not able to attend your event, then Andy bBucks for online purchases is what you should do.

BTW, I want to make at least 425whp with a H/C and still be Smog Legal. I want the stock engine look.

Good luck...hopefully I can make this even and get a BB exhuast installed.

Miguel

1 - 20 of 24 Posts