Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever seen black Chrome.. There is a company in Los Angeles that will Chrome my wheels or swap out GM for GM (not OEM) for $600 / set for Chrome or $900 for Black Chrome. I think the Black Chrome would look sweet on the Yellow. (That includes mounting and balancing).

Someone told me that Chrome wheels weigh 4 lbs more each or about (16 lbs / set). That seems like a lot. Then I read an older thread that chrome wheels weigh about 3/4 lb more per wheel, but the chrome company says it's 5 oz (or about 1.5 lbs for all 4 wheels). Anyone weigh their chromies vs stock wheels?

Is the add'l weight a big factor for drag racing since it's unsprung weight? :z:

Photo of BMW Black Chrome wheel from Vendor:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Wow.. I'll bet black chrome would look stunning..

I wonder if it is as durable and corrosion resistant as regular chrome??

I've wondered about black anodized wheels, but I think the black chrome would take the cake.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Black Chrome??? Whats that??? and pics of this black chrome, i've never seen it

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Shawn at LAPD(one of our vendors) has Black wheels on his 2001 MY Coupe(His Girlfriend just got an '02 QS Z!!!). Don't know if it's Black Chrome, but it's quite stunning :)

Personally, I Luv da Chromies.....especially on my QS :D

Plater is correct at 5 oz., and that's not enough to make a meaningful difference, unless you're racing for da big $$$$.

I believe the stock wheels weigh real close to 20 lbs sans tires. That's 320 oz.....another 5 oz is nodda big deal :D

Barrie :cheers:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does anybody have pix??

·
Registered
0 Posts
Corvette Mike's weighed the stock wheels versus the chromed OEM wheels. Total weight was less than 2.5 lbs. There is an old post about it, I will try to find it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Chromed 2002 Z06 wheels weigh 17 oz (Front) & 19 oz. (Rear) more than stock. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
ZO6 chromed wheels

look fantastic on Electron Blue and Black cars. The "new" 02 wheels whigh less than the 01s so I chromed mine and now they wheigh the same as the 01s...you get the idea. Really makes the car stand out big time. I think the car goes faster with chrome wheels as it takes more pride in itself. Out with the dull and in with the shiny ones. Black chrome would look awsome on a yellow or silver car.:) :) :) :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Has anyone had the stock wheels painted black? I had been thinking about this possability since I got my windows tinted and inlayed my front and rear letters in black. I know there are companies that can repair and repaint OE wheels, so I would think this could be done. I wouldn't think this would be verry expensive either. :z:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Tom,
I have seen black painted wheels on a car in the dupont reg. They were making c5's look like the grand sports. The ZO6 wheels looked real nice. I am sure a good body shop will paint them for not much $. Thinking about it myself.

EB 02'

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
black chrome

the wheels look great !!!

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Z06 Tom said:
Has anyone had the stock wheels painted black? I had been thinking about this possability since I got my windows tinted and inlayed my front and rear letters in black. I know there are companies that can repair and repaint OE wheels, so I would think this could be done. I wouldn't think this would be verry expensive either. :z:
Ram Air Tony on CF has pics of his MY Z with black wheels......

JC

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
02ZO6 said:
Tom,
I have seen black painted wheels on a car in the dupont reg. They were making c5's look like the grand sports. The ZO6 wheels looked real nice. I am sure a good body shop will paint them for not much $. Thinking about it myself.

EB 02'
02Z06,
You should go get your wheels done so I can see how they look on your Z! :lol: I'm going to make a few calls and see what I can find out as far as cost. I had a wheel repaired on my '96 "Collector Edition". I had a local body shop doing a few small things to the car at the time and I think they sent the wheel out to be repaired and repainted. If I can find out any info, I'll post it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have e-mailed pics of a c5 Grand Sport to a mod. with black z rims on it. slick looking machine. it should be posted soon. If anybody want's me to e-mail them, get me @ [email protected] or message me from this site.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts