Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some black motorsport wheels and the polished lip has a clear coat that is starting to peel. Has anyone else had this problem? I was wondering if you can just remove the clear coat and sand it to a polished finish. If you can what do you recommend using to sand it down with.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
02Redzo6 said:
I have some black motorsport wheels and the polished lip has a clear coat that is starting to peel. Has anyone else had this problem? I was wondering if you can just remove the clear coat and sand it to a polished finish. If you can what do you recommend using to sand it down with.
I am sure there is a way to do it yourself, but wheel repair companies can do it for you and I do not believe it is too expensive. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
02Redzo6 said:

BTW, I have these rims but too new to show much wear... been in hibernation until a few days ago.

There are mobile wheel repair companies that will refinish your rims...

They are in every city. Call your Chevy dealer and find out who they use - or better yet, call your local Porsche or BMW dealer - their cars come with more expensive wheels stock and their owners typically will not tolerate a blemish!

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
02Redzo6 said:

I bought a set from another member here awhile back and one had damage. I had it fixed for $109 by WheelsAmerica in Miami, Florida. They not only fixed the clearcoat but also took out all of the rivets and cleaned and repainted the wheel black. So yes you can do it but I don't know what's best for sanding it down.

There are several WheelsAmerica's and I have heard a few horror stories with some of their locations...but the one in Miami did an awesome job.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have used steel wool to take off wheel clear coat. It's a bit of work though. Follow it up with some Mothers Alum polish and it will really shine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts