Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have An 02 Z06 With The Cast Wheels. My Color Is Mil. Yellow. Lately I Have Been Thinking Of Having My Wheels Powder Coated With A Flat Black. I Have A Set Of Hickock Sprint Wheels Also. Which Would You Powder Coat, The Stock Wheels Ot The Hickocks? Does Anyone Know Of A Good Place To Have It Done In The New York Metropolitan Area?

·
Registered
76 Posts
POWERTOWEIGHT said:
I Have An 02 Z06 With The Cast Wheels. My Color Is Mil. Yellow. Lately I Have Been Thinking Of Having My Wheels Powder Coated With A Flat Black. I Have A Set Of Hickock Sprint Wheels Also. Which Would You Powder Coat, The Stock Wheels Ot The Hickocks? Does Anyone Know Of A Good Place To Have It Done In The New York Metropolitan Area?
(just my 2 cents) - i wouldn't go with flat black, i'd go with semi-flat, or semi-gloss black, and keep the outer lip polished - sorta like the black weels on the 96 GS. i don't know what the hickocks look like, so, i can't comment on which wheels to PC. i had my stock 04 wheels done at motomotion in medina, ohio, but i had them PC chrome - (my z is black)

Joe C - 2004 black/mod red z06, 1985 silver/graphite z51 (both daily drivers)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I also like the idea of semi-gloss black finish and a polished outer lip. With an all black rim you don't have any contrast and can't tell where the tire and rim begins and ends. :cheers:

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have powedecoated mine with a gloosy black.

No Problems with my rims of the roadcourse, but I have 01 Alcoa forged ones. It cost me about $800.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I have a set of HRE 540's I'm doing now & both CCW & HRE advised me NOT to powder coat. They both said the results were a crap shoot.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It is my opinion, that with an oven temperature of 400 degrees, the metallurgy on Aluminum will not be affected. There are few members lurking around here that have a professional background in metallurgy.

I would think any manufacturer in this day in age would tell you not to touch their product for various reasons. Isn't being in the USA fun sometimes?

Admittedly, if I had 02-04 cast rims, I probably would not do it. The forged single piece as about twice as strong and is lot less prone to unseen material defect. The Aluminum atoms on the 01 are, "denser," over all, as well. Just look at the slight weight difference.

My Theory,

Personally, I think some the problems with a few of the aluminum rims breaking, is that maybe they, "hit, scuffed something hard at some-point."

My theory on the some CCW's braking as well. Maybe these were not throughly checked before going on the track? If I had some older ones and was tracking them, I would get them magnafluxed to check for inperfections..

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The CCW, HRE, OEM Z06 and the Hickock wheels talked about so far in this thread are NOT Magnesium. They are all forged Aluminum except for the +'02 OEM wheels which are spun cast Aluminum

What are you talking about ??

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Sorry, I was not refering to any damage done to the strength of the wheel after powder coating. I'm talking about the finish chipping around the bolts on multi-piece wheels.

·
Registered
971 Posts
DJWorm,

Two problems. I made an mistake on the content not saying the CCW and HRE's are forged aluminum. I know this. Just an oversite.

The second mistake, for some reason mentally. I thought the Z06 rims material was magnesium. Maybe, I thinking the orignal C&D article? Will look. Currently perplexed by my own mistake. Will correct.

Thanks for pointing it out.

GR

Nope: Original C&D article says aluminum. Now even more bothered.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
In 98-2000 there were optional OEM Magnesium wheels available and the excess supply was actually made available in 2001.

Also the Callaway's which were a factory option "B2K" also came with Magnesium DyMags in 2 styles. These were also available over the counter for the World Challenge and Corvette Challenge "SPO R9G" cars and aftermarket from Mid America.

So there were some true OEM "Mags" available in the past; just not for the Z06.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
DJWorm said:
There have been reports of wheels failing post powder coating.

Are these reports documented where we can read them?

There has to be documentation somewhere that shows powder coating OEM Z06 wheels causes them to fail.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Z06Dad said:
Are these reports documented where we can read them?

There has to be documentation somewhere that shows powder coating OEM Z06 wheels causes them to fail.
I am also interested in seeing something other than Internet rumors. My local powder coating expert says this is not true, and that OEMs would not be powder coating thousands of wheels each year if it were. He has cars out there that have gone in excess of 280 mph with his wheels, and I trust him more than rumor mongers. But hey, it's just my life.

Rob

·
Registered
881 Posts
Both my painter and my brother (MSME Purdue) think powder coating will not weaken the wheels. I have bought an extra set of '02s and am about to have them powder coated black with polished rims. If I am completely happy with the outcome, I will sell my original wheels.

I think the look is terrific and this has an advantage of low cost, keep my tires and low weight compared to many aftermarket wheel swap alternatives. If I had lots of money, I might go for a nice set of forged SSRs though...

Interesting comment from my brother, whose engineering design firm does some work for bicycle manufacturers - he says that anodizing actually reduces the fatigue strength of Aluminum. I had never heard that before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts