Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have an 02 with 9800 miles on its my daily driver and I california car duster the car every day when i get to work before putting the cover on and everytime theres is like this black soot around the licence plate frame and the taillights and it concerns me and i just had oil changed and its a little off the full mark on the dipstick already?? any ideas ?? im new to vettes thanks

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
check your rear drivers side output shaft.. up close to the tranny

you should have some seepage..
it is a warrenty ... TSB item

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Black soot would indicate rich AFR wouldn't it? Especially if it's around the pipes and lower rear area.
What mods, if any?
Is it more after a spirited trip/ blast into the office?
Or is it when you go easy then there is less mess to dust off?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It's most likely just soot from the car exhaust. It's not uncommom at all especially if you have some mods like a cold air intake. You may be running a bit rich during WOT. It probably happens more when you run the car through some higher revs.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Could easily be dust from the brake pads, too. If you drive at the track, you'll see this commonly. If you drive hard on the street, you can do the same thing. The stock brake pads create a lot of dust.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If it's not oily it is probably brake dust or just road dust.
The shape of the rear of the car tends to create a vacuum effect and the plastic in that area will attract dust like a magnet.
MHO :z:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Any of the above and also slight blow by on decel will spray small amounts of oil.
Check your exhaust tips.
If the soot on the car is dry it's fuel, if wet it's oil or diff. fluid.
If your exhaust tips are clean it's diff. fluid.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I get soot/dark dust collecting in the license plate cove and the tail light areas on my 02. I've always attributed it to road dirt.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I cannot see how the rings could blow that much oil out and have it all over the back of the car.I just can't buy that. The oil would have to travel through the cylinder while the engine is running out the exhaust ,Combustion temps 1200 or higher,out the exhaust pipe through the converters and mufflers throught the tips and plant itself on the rear facia. Thats one majic loogy. If its puking that much oil to come out that wet I wouldn't think its drivable and should be billowing blue smoke. Would also believe it would be oil fouling the spark plugs.
I say its road dirt or a leak blowing out the bottom.

·
Registered
902 Posts
As others have said if it is not wet it could just be dust. I believe that the the Corvette's plastic body holds a static charge more than a car with a steel body. (Anyone have a static meter to test this) I see more dust on my vette than my wifes car in the garage.
You can have someone follow you and punch it to see if there is excessive smoke spewing from your exhaust. (Many cars are tuned very rich).

Sabot

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
If you're using oil, which you sort of say you might be, the odds are good the soot is that oil. Zs can develop two problems which contribute to oil consumption, rings and the "PCV Valley Seal". The problems are not that uncommon, unfortunately.

The car definitely picks up dust. But it tends to be fairly uniform across the back. And for me, anyway, it's not usually black, it's "dirt" colored.

I've had problems with the rear end leaking, and the rear overflowed a little in the recent hot weather. It leaves black dirt on the rear of the car, and it is centered around the exhaust, but it's always in spots, not a uniform coating.

Checking the rear is as easy as leaning under the car and looking. Barring that, your supposition that the dust is coming from the exhaust is a good one, the possibility of oil consumption is consistent with that assumption. You should start to monitor your oil consumption.

·
Registered
596 Posts
01T/AWS6 said:
Your not alone on this, I've noticed the same thing.
:yeadog: Same here my friend. I used a bug and tar remover and it worked great! PM me so I don't get an edit for giving you the link to the products. :cheers: Mario

1 - 20 of 23 Posts