Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Are you doing a black and white tiled garage project?

• Already Done

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Project Under Way

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Considering It

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Waste of Time

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 550 white tiles, 550 black tiles, two buckets of glue, spreaders, cutters; all just waiting for the first warm days.

I always wanted a Car Craft garage. My 01 Z pushed me to action. My 02 Z pushed the project to the top of my To Do list.

I was wondering how many of us Z06 guys are doing the Home Car Studio thing...

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
We are building another house right now, with a custom garage, pictures sooooon. :D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have painted the outline of my garage safety yellow. I am waiting for it to warm up a little more and I will start the b&w checkering.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Screw the tile. Paint it on the floor. Will save a bunch of time and repairs are quick and easy verses replacing busted tiles:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I painted my floor with a two part epoxy. It comes in a kit form from your local Home Depot or Lowes. The kit has instructions and are easy to follow. I did my three car Garage over a weekend. I used the gray epoxy that uses blue, white and black flecks that you sprinkle over the paint. These flecks give you traction when the floor is wet and hide scratches, blems etc. The kit also comes in a Tan epoxy with brown, white and black flecks.

I had a friend who put tiles down in his garage and he complained about them all the time. The tiles don't stand up to floor jacks and lifts very well. The tiles pop up or crack and he was always having to tear them out and replace them. Also the white tiles stain over time from the car tires. If your tiles are not color impregnated, ALL the way through the thickness of the tile, you are stuck with a dirty tile. A fully color impregnated tile can be sanded to remove the stain.

My Epoxy floor has been down for almost three years now and I have not had any peeling or chipping. It's easy to clean, durable and looks great. Also did I mention it's much cheaper that tiles.

I know the checker board tile looks great but they do have some draw backs.

Just something to consider. "Been there done that."

:cheers:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I have been wondering about the jack and general abrasions issue.

Guess I should have thought more before I bought all the tiles.

Payton Wright Ford had a real cool blue expoxy coating on their entire shop area. I spoke to them several times (I had a Lightning) and they had never had a problem with it.

Guess I should have thought more before I bought 1100 square feet of tiles...

·
Registered
945 Posts
I redid my whole garage and everything is finished except the floor, I was going to put tiles down but where I live, (like right now) snow melts off my daily drivers in gallons and sits on the floor over night until I get a chance to squeegee it out. I am sure no matter how well you seal it, the water would seep under the tiles and start lifting them. I like that two part epoxy suggestion, I might try that.
My Garage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts