Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
:mug: I had a Blackwing on my 02Z (02-04 same engine diff. shocks) and could'nt tell a difference from stock air assembly with a K&N so I sold it. I just modified the stock air lid by cutting out the center and 4 large holes cut out on both sides. Still cant tell a difference but I know air can get to the filter easier. :ity:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Adding a blackwing has some advantages and disadvantages. The benefit is when you are moving (above 30 mph) you are gaining a large amount of cool air which is more dense than engine air. This results in performance gains. At idle, you are getting a combination of cool air and heated engine air. This often leads to rich/lean conditions and idle and surging issues on decel. The correct way would be to cut out the shroud cover and completely seal the intake. That way you have a constant supply of cooler ambiant air. This is the same principle as the veraram except you have a larger volume of air to draw upon.

The 04 PCM is 1024K and uses the CAN communications. This means it is faster reacting than earlier PCM's. It is a transitional PCM as the C6 is similar but runs at 32 bit instead of 16 bit. When adding engine mods, the 04 will be harder to find a good tuner.

·
Registered
387 Posts
FlosyZ06 said:
Can any of you give me any feedback on the out comes and the overall about the Black wing intake for a 04 Z.
POS...

Honker, Vortex, Vararam in that order.:usa:

·
Registered
39 Posts
With my '03 there was a noticeable gas mileage increase (up to 5 mpg highway driving) with the Blackwing and it seemed to have quicker throttle response.

I didn't do a controlled study (I ran on different days so there were different track conditions) but my 1/4 mile times were better by .2 to .3 seconds with the Blackwing as opposed to the stock air box. That's significant, if you ask me.

I tried the zip tie mod with the stock air box and didn't notice much, if any difference than with the cover on.

I tried the zip tie mod with a K&N drop in and my gas mileage went to hell, and the car seemed a little sluggish -- same results with the air box lid on.

For me, the Blackwing on an otherwise stock '03 was the bomb.

So I'm very interested in this topic because my '03 sold two months ago and I'm jonesing driving my wife's '01 Grand Prix and looking for a black/mod red "04 Z06 even as we speak and I have CA$H in hand and I can't find the right car and my wife says she is tired of hearing me whine about it but dammit, my pussy hurts!!! and it's going to hurt until I get into another Z06 so somebody PLEASE sell me their '04 Z06!

Sorry for the off-topic comments. :cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts