Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The C5 Blackwing from Donaldson and Exit28motorsports.com, more air through your screens and more power to your wheels:

'01 and '02 items in stock for immediate shipment. The pricing is $225, shipped FREE. Removal of the old box and a simple install of this filter and you have better breathing and more power.

Exit28 Motorsports is offering the exclusive automotive performance aftermarket Donaldson filter medium in the BLACKWING for the LS6 Corvette. You may not be familiar with the Donaldson name, but they are recognized throughout the world for their heavy duty truck,OEM filters and air box applications and industrial filters. Even the U.S. Government went to Donaldson for filters. From small stationary engines to the largest earth moving equipment Donaldson has over 80 years experience in manufacturing filters having over 1300 different patents on their products. One of the first filter assemblies Donaldson created was for the C5 Corvette. Why, because GM produced a world class sports car, but the stock air filter assembly is VERY restrictive! Donaldson wanted to show off their talent in filter design and manufacturing by producing the finest assembly available today. This filter assembly will allow your LS6 equipped Z06 Corvette to breath the way it should, featuring the most technologically advanced filter media available. The lifetime warrantied reusable filter will out flow its competition yet filter out the smallest dust particles. Another unique feature included with this assembly is the FLOW INDICATOR. This little gauge changes color to let you know when the filter needs cleaning. Simply clean the filter and reset the valve and you're ready to go. Clean with non solvent-based cleaner and reoil lightly.

Horsepower gains up to 16 over a stock filter for the LS1 has been seen and 14 on the '01 Z06's LS6 motor.

Simple bolt on installation, requiring no vehicle modifications., nor shroud cutting.

You can order with us at toll free:1 877 966 8676.

Thanks!

RG

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Do you have proof of your horsepower claim? From some independent tests on the Donaldson owners (which I oave), this 16 HP claim is :bs:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have seen many posts on Corvetteforum.com since the Z06 was put out for the general public, backing up these claims. I have also talked to many guys here in DFW at dyno days about their experiences with aftermarket boxes like the Vortex and Blackwing and Halltech. There is a guy here in DFW with a QS 01 Z06 that gained 11 RWhp on the dyno with our little Hi Flo filter, the same one as the racers wedge from halltech. He ran it 3 times before and 3 times after with the same gain results. I also have a buddy who added the same filter and only got 8 hp, peak, at the same dyno with a relearn in between. I gained 18 hp with my Vortex on a static dyno with about 5k miles on it. It's an LS1, but, it did make a difference no doubt. My track times also dropped 2 tenths on run flats and my mph went up 3 hp to 110. I have an automatic.

I do say UP TO on the gains, once again, because individual cars and dyno operators are different resulting in different numbers. The 16 hp claim is on an LS1. The up to 14 gain is on the Z06, LS6 motor. Figure the 15% drive train loss and you get about 12 RWhp.

As far as BS goes, I have seen claims on the Blackwing of a 32 rwhp gain:), but they don't tell you it's on a head/cam changed car.:) I don't claim what the manufacturer says. I go by the results from owners I know from C/F and from guys locally. If you didn't make any or very little HP, could there have been something wrong. I don't see your graphs in the dyno section of this forum. I am not trying to flame you, but, if you call bs, then I'd ask that I get the whole story of circumstances on your results so we can compare like we do with others. As you see in the halltech posts, there are so many variables in dyno testing to account for and to get consistent results. Were your temps the same on runs, did you relarn, was your air fuel ratio good...things like that are important. How many runs did you make and what were the particulars on your runs? Have you had a chance to track test yet? Dynos are one thing...but the real difference is the A to B driving and who is the quickest. More air to the car helps performance. Lower operating temps help to. Your screens allowing 'cold air' into the intake tract also helps but the dyno can't show that.

I see posts indicating very good numbers and very bad numbers on the same intake. RE: CorvetteBob's results with the halltech. Something is amiss and I don't think either guy, jim or Bob are fudging for any reason. Something is not accounted for apparently.

Don't get caught up in just dyno numbers, they are a good reference point but the A to B qucikness is what we are after. No one races on dynos...at least not yet:) LOL.

I appreciate you calling me on this so we can discuss it here. That's the beauty of this Forum and others. Take care.

RG

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
So the upshot of your long post is that you don't have any personal evidence. In other words you have no direct evidence of your claim, right? Maybe you shouldn't make the claim therefore. Maybe you should just say what you know for sure. :roll:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Steven,

That's a very short sighted characterization of my post and you didn't answer any of my questions about your results. :confused: You came to this post to post the BS flag and I assumed you wanted to talk about it.

I guess I should take your response as you don't what to discuss your results or what may be wrong if you didn't get the gains you expected. Is that correct? I am not going to get in a pissing match about it and I don't want to offend you, but, I'd like to talk about it without you dismissing what I say without response.

I don't have dyno graphs on hand from Corvetteforum.com Members nor Z06vette.com Members to show you, I apologize.

If you'd like to discuss this as I stated before, I'd still be glad too:)

May I ask what made you decide on the Blackwing to start with? Was it the claims or the ease of install, or the look or...?

BTW, I do stand by my claims 100%.

Take care,

RG

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Steve,

I am searching threads for numbers on this site...I see Nate speaking to the same gains on the thread link below and another Member on the thread is at 343 with the Blackwing, though I don't know what he started with.

What were your stock numbers?

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=676&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Like I mentioned, dynos are not the be all and end all. They are good for testing improvements if done properly on the same car shortly after a mod is done and a relarn is done. This keeps the environments the same, but, they don't take into account at-speed driving as you know.

Have you tried resetting your PCM by unhooking the negative battery cable for 5 minutes and reconnecting it and driving?

RG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good price! But I already installed the Blackwing which I purchased at Corvettes at Carlisle for more money. Have not dyno tested the car, but there is a SOTP difference and I like the looks. Stock box is very restrictive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts