Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time having to clean and re-oil my BW, well for that matter any re-usable air cleaner of this type. I bought the BW specific kit so I got off in the right direction. Cleaning was pretty straightforward but re-oiling is another issue.

With the oil on the MAF scare awhile back, I am really worried about over-oiling it. First thing I noticed that the instructions tend to lead you to over-oiling it. It states that you should ensure you oil every pleat and go back over areas that are lighter (the oil is blue) and NEVER use the filter w/o re-oiling it. Sounded okay until I found out the aerosol can of oil dispenses like silly string! I thought it would be a much finer mist rather that a stream of blue. A little perplexed, I made some quick passes back and forth. It looks like bad graffiti and it's visibly apparent that that the whole filter is not uniformly covered... :mah:

So what's the technique to ensure it's adequately oiled but not over-oiled??!!?? :-? :-? :-? TIA. :guiness:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Bevo, when I re-oil my Halltech I use these steps.

I use a micro fiber towel and stuff it in the filter then proceed to oil the filter not worring about over oiling.

I then let it sit for about 30 min. that allows the oil to flow thru the filter evenly.

I then take a air blower hooked up to my comp. and blow any excess oil off the filter and the micro fiber towel will soak up any excess oil in the filter.

So no worries about the MAF

I hope this helps.

Darwin.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Slightly off topic... I've got several cans of K&N spray filter oil. Any harm in using it up with my Blackwiing?? They seem like similar products..

Sorry about the partial hi-jack..

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darwin, thanks for the tip. I did pretty much what you recommended but still went light on the oil just in case... :eek:: I've put about 50 miles on it since and have my fingers crossed I didn't over do it with oil.

Undy- from what I was told the filtration elements are different and you should -not- use the K&N cleaner/oil with the BW's. I have heard of some people doing but it's not recommended. :guiness:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts