Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Blackwing installed today with a strout and it's throwing lean codes when crusing under very little to no load on the engine. Engine feels strong under every other situation. My Z06 is a new 04, has anyone had this problem. Z06 is basicly stock except Corsa indy catback.
:cry:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Check for leaks between the maf and TB. I had a similar problem with a Halltech unit. Couldn't get it to seal, finally buried it. :mah: The unmetered air will cause the lean codes.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked for leaks... No leaks found.. It's very wered

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what number's, but they are left bank lean and right bank lean.
they said i should get a tune(dyno).

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Those are the codes then. Did you do an idle relearn when you restarted?

Try this: Press and hold the "options" button then hit the "Fuel" button 4 times. This puts you in diagnostics mode. Hitting the option button will scroll you through all the modules and codes thrown. Hit reset to clear them as you scroll through.

Idle relearn: Start and let temp get to at least 170 degrees. let idle for 5 minutes without AC off and another 5 minutes with AC on. Turn off and restart after a minute or so.

I haven't heard of too many Blackwings throwing codes. I really thought the Halltech unit I had was tight. The clamp was very tight but the unit would spin regardless. The propane test didn't even reveal the problem. The scan with Ease did show starnge cfm and fuel trims so it was obvious it was getting unmetered air flow (between the maf and Tb). I would really carefully check.

You may want to disconnect your battery for at least 15 minutes, reconnect and do the idle relearn as described above. Maybe someone with a Blackwing that had this problem will speak up soon.

Just be aware also that GM has started disallowing warranty claims with intakes that use rechargeable (oiled) filters. If excess oil gets on the maf wires it causes a lot of problems. I wonder how KN is going to react to this?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I will try this tommorow morning.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just installed my Blackwing last week. Did you get the adapter with your unit? I know that mine was very, very tight to put together. I almost considered putting some liquid soap on it but, after hearing about trouble codes and leaks.......I'm glad I didn't! It was a bitch to seat the thing all the way down. The directions say to make sure that the adapter hose is all the way down.......as far as it will go.
I'm happy to say that mine is ok and I don't have any codes. I do notice that when I hop on it the first time after I take the car out, it pings slightly for a second or two and then that's it. If I jump on it again in the same ride(so to speak), it's fine.........no pinging. I have a Preditor ordered and should arrive any day now so, I'm thinking that it will help my ping thing!...lol
Good luck! :-? :bang:

·
Registered
21 Posts
jz06man said:
I just got my Blackwing installed today with a strout and it's throwing lean codes when crusing under very little to no load on the engine. Engine feels strong under every other situation. My Z06 is a new 04, has anyone had this problem. Z06 is basicly stock except Corsa indy catback.
:cry:
After I installed the Blackwing on my Z, I started getting the lean codes after "spirited" driving 4 or 5 times. I would reset them and go about my business. I eventually stopped getting them and when I had the Z tuned the other day, Andy at 21stCMC told me I was running lean in the lower RPMs.

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
go to radio shack and ask for "coaxial sealer." its like a black tape that is kind a gooey..
and put it where the blackwing hooks to the MAF and the throttle body then seal it tight with the screwdriver.

Jim Hall gave me this solution from Halltec and it solved my Lean Bank porblems
only cost $ 3.00

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried the Idle relearn, but it did not work. Still getting lean codes under very, very light throttle(maintaining speed). when a accelerate or get on her, all is well.
I think i need to get a tune. I had a professional installer do the work. They offer to tuner her.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They tested for leaks on the MAF and throttle body. No leaks present!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why should i unplug the battery, when i can reset them.
Also if i unplug the battery, I'll need to enter the code for the radio(anti-theft device).
Even if i unplug the battery i still have a low rpm lean problem.
I can feel at low rpm the engine lean, shuttering.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
jz06man said:
Why should i unplug the battery, when i can reset them.
Also if i unplug the battery, I'll need to enter the code for the radio(anti-theft device).
Even if i unplug the battery i still have a low rpm lean problem.
I can feel at low rpm the engine lean, shuttering.
Unplugging the battery for an hour will erase all stored performance data from the computer. So now, your computer does not compare current sensor feedback to normal feedback prior to Blackwing install. The OBD must completely start from scratch with an entire paramater relearn.

·
Registered
72 Posts
blackwings tend to throw off screenless maf's.older cars used a screened maf and would break up the turbulance created by the blackwing.screenless maf's are subseptible to the turbulance and flip out the pcm.to use the blackwing on a screenless maf,you have to get the g/s tweaked by tuning,that way you loose the lean faults/hunting idle,etc.
check and make sure you have absoulutely don't have any airleaks after the maf.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I installed a Blackwing on my 02 last year and although I did have any codes I developed a surging right away while cruising on the highway and at low speeds. The surging would not go away regardless of what I did. Put the stock unit back on and it was gone. Put the blackwing back on and it was back. Search the forum and you'll find that the 01's did not have this trouble because the 01 MAF has a straightening screen in it. 02's on up - no screen. I believe the Blackwing delivers a LOT of air that has turbulence in it, causing the MAF to read erractically. I put the BW up and ordered a Vortex rammer. No surge, codes or anything with that unit since the install.

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts