Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Donaldson Blackwing on my 01 Z and removed it before I sold it. Its sitting in a box now... for 02 chevy made some changes to the MAF and the airbox I thought.... is the blackwing work installing on the 02?

-jbl

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Yes, if you want it to run "pig rich" at high rpms. I'm sure some of the experts will chime in and explain why the '02s run pig rich with this filter and some other filters (the explanation is beyond my knowledge), but the rich condition can apparently be tuned out with either a MAF Translator or PCM reprogramming. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
What Rip said

Looks like the Blackwing is not as user friendly with the o2's as it was with theh 01's.
The T1 is looking good on the 02's though.
The MAFT would take care of the over-rich conditions, but of course you will have to buy the MAFT and get it dialed in. Have not heard anyone coming back with a post that had done this with the BW and an 02. I think the BW looks kind of cool:D
:cheers: :D

T

·
0 Posts
Re: What Rip said

I have helped several owners with '02s get dialed in with a BW and that pig rich statement is highly overstated by one chassie dyno test where the tests were not planned as a airfilter test.
Try testing a aircleaner with the car stapped to a dyno in a room with no moving airflow and you get my meaning.

People tend to forget EPA, smog mandates and if they recall what its all about and undestand for '02 G.M wanted to get rid of the precats understand AFR will take a hit.
To do so and also meet newer EPA standards and CARB, G.M had to go with smaller injectors and use a different PCM calibration, plus attempt to solve knock issues via PCM software.

So the engine is biased to run on the lean side, add any decent airflow change with any brand of aircleaner and as seen in many PCM traces I have seen fuel trims as lean as 10-22 % !

Now assume your part throttle fuel trims are reporting that lean, clearly then PCM is attempting to go that much richer.
Now Just as you go into WOT, PCM is pushing richer conditions, plus EPA allows for WOT you can go as rich as you want,
thus the fuel trim function asking to be richer plus the natural power enrichment at WOT can end up with lean fuel trims but rich WOT.

This is not new, any C5 can and have been seen to get this way, and its not the BWs fault that is is doing a better job of allowing more air to enter intake.

It's a simple procedure with a MAF translator to solve this and in the end having a balls out good PCM calibration.

fyrcaptain said:
Looks like the Blackwing is not as user friendly with the o2's as it was with theh 01's.
The T1 is looking good on the 02's though.
The MAFT would take care of the over-rich conditions, but of course you will have to buy the MAFT and get it dialed in. Have not heard anyone coming back with a post that had done this with the BW and an 02. I think the BW looks kind of cool:D
:cheers: :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts