Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone solve the problem of having the little ears fit back on when installing a Blackwing. I never got mine to sit back on the grommets. It is stable and solidly in place but would look better if it was on the grommets where it should be. It seems that the Blackwing sits a little high. I was thinking the bottom holes in the Blackwing could be modified to move it down a little lower and allow the top grommets to fit.

Just wondering what others have done. I assume that I am not the only one that has seen this problem.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does this Blackwing actually improve performance ? What type of horsepower gains ?

Just wondering as my 01 Z is stock and the blackwings at Carlisle looked sweet. :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check around the board. There is a lot of discussion about ai induction. I think it is generally accepted that the stock air box is very restrictive. There are just two small holes letting air in. The real question is what is the best value. You can spend form 40-800 dollars. The Halltech system looks to be excellent but is expensive. I went with the Donaldson for some crazy reasons.

1. SLP sells it and I wanted to bring the Z06 to SLP appreciation day. (wound up taking my SS instead!)

2. Cost (OK it's not a crazy reason, but when you spend this much for a car, onyl the best should be considered regarldless of cost). The Donaldson was about 200 bucks.

Choice is yours. There are some very good threads about air induction around.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I had the Blackwing on my '01 Z06 prior to the Vortex system. Make sure it is staight and not twisted. I had the same problem. There should be no or very little space inside the Z06 adapter connection. It took me 3 tries to get the bridge to properly line up and for those ears to sit flush. FUBU69/LES btw make sure all connections are TIGHT, with no leaks. After a few days inspect and re-tighten. Personally, I am a bottom feeder believer.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
DaveZ06 said:
Does this Blackwing actually improve performance ? What type of horsepower gains ?

Just wondering as my 01 Z is stock and the blackwings at Carlisle looked sweet. :)
Dave -- I have a Blackwing on my '01, and it's GREAT! VERY easy to install, looks great, and performs well. Hell, all of the Mallett (blown ones, 427's, etc) use the Blackwing, too (and I'd assume they could use anything on their cars).

-Kirk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kirk,

Thanks for the reply. We should try to get together sometime. I have 2 friends in the Harrisburg area that also have Z06's, one yellow like yours. I would love to hear your car with those headers on it :eek: as I am really thinking of headers for the car and a blackwing.

Dave
01 Z06
Blk/Blk Ripper, Lowered

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
There was someone on this forum who did an immdeiately before and after dyno run with a net performance gain of 0 horsepower. I wish I would have saved that post. :eek:

If that doesn't stop you, it is a good well built air cleaner. which can be reused for a long time. I have one myself

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
DaveZ06 said:
Kirk,

Thanks for the reply. We should try to get together sometime. I have 2 friends in the Harrisburg area that also have Z06's, one yellow like yours. I would love to hear your car with those headers on it :eek: as I am really thinking of headers for the car and a blackwing.

Dave
01 Z06
Blk/Blk Ripper, Lowered
Dave,

Gladly! Maybe we could meet on the Turnpike somewhere, kind of half way. Drop me an email sometime!

-Kirk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.