Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green Ky.

As I drove in the grounds I spotted 2 Z06's parked outside the building but in the fenced yard.

When I came around to the main entrance for the assembly plant tour, I saw a beautiful black one re-entering the plant from what must have been a test run. It had the plastic coverings on the body that they use in production to protect the paint. As I watched it further a Silver one was waiting inside the gate as if waiting for it's turn. As the black one pulled in the silver one pulled out. It too had the plastic coverings. I waited as the silver one took the corner and I don't know if the driver noticed my tongue hanging out, but he romped on it! thru three gears....WOW!

As we toured the hundreds of vettes in various stages of production, I looked for any signs of a Z06. At the end of production was a Burnt Orange unit about to roll off of the line. When we got to the end there sat a new blue one just off to one side. As my son got the honor of starting a new c6 for its first start up, I spoke to several of the workers. I asked them if they had driven the Z06. Each of them said yes. The one explained that the rubber compound on the tires was too hard that the car could spin through the first three gears! He said it was fast as hell....

When I left to go to the musuem, there were now about 6 Z06's outside the building but in the fenced section.

I took a shot of the one in production and the one on the end but don't know how to upload. I can email somewhere as long as it isn't verizon that won't accept jpg.

Friday afternoon about 6:30 on I-65 south which is the road that the plant is on, I saw a Blue Z06 heading north at about 90 miles from the factory. If correct, maybe an exec was taking one home....who knows maybe Dave Hill himself....

Anyway, just wanted to share the excitement with the group!

And by the way, blank window stickers!! Don't know why they even put them in. Not the first word or figures on them......

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Great post! I read it with my tongue hanging out. Thanks for the good write up. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Thanks for the info. :ity: Nice write up. That's something I always wanted to do, was start the car on the line and ride in the car when it's on the rollers. My wife has got to do both. Another benefit of being good looking. :cheers:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
The blank window stickers is common. I've seen early production cars at dealers with them. I believe they do this when production cars are built before official prices are announced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts