Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be a really dumb question but the knowledge here on this board is amazing.

I am fixinta (one word, means about to, fixing to, haha) replace my stock injectors with SVO30lb. I have read the Service manual and many threads here but still have a few questions.

First, the fuel feed line has a metal clip holding it to the fuel rail. Is this clip re-usable? If so, how to I get it off to remove the fuel feed line? Can I just pry it up, gently, and pull the fuel feed line off?

Second, I do not have the fuel pressure guage with bleeder valve as pictured in the service manual. Is there a DIY way to bleed the pressure from the fuel system prior to injector replacement?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit odd but this injector thing is a little scary for me but I am a willing student.

Thanks in advance
Jim

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Tools Needed:

10mm wrench and/or socket and ratchet
small flathead screwdriver.
Installation summary:

Remove the fuel rail covers (if you have them).

I hadn't driven it for about 24hrs, so I placed a rag over the end of the fuel rail pressure relief valve, and pressed the valve to depressurize the system. It had already depressurized naturally overnight. So no gas came out.

Take out the bolts that hold the fuel rail down. 4 of them.

Push the silver clips that hold the harness to the each injector inward, and pull the harness connections off each injector.

Disconnect the main electrical connector to each side of the fuel rail. I also unhooked the connections to the throttle body to make things a little easier.

Then once the fuel rail is loose grab one side broadly and pull up firmly to get the injectors out all at once from the manifold.

Repeat for the other side. (wiggling helps while pulling up).

Its MUCH easier to lift all the injectors out from the manifold while they are still on the fuel rail then to try to pull them out from the fuel rail first, so don't try to lift the fuel rails off the injectors while they are still in the intake manifold. You will most likely bend or break the fuel rails.

Used a flat blade screwdriver to pop out the small black metal retaining clips that hold the fuel injectors to the rail. These are kinda like U-clips, and they come off towards the inside of the rails. Take them all off and set them aside.

Once there all popped out I choose to remove the gray plastic retaining tabs that holds the harness to the rail.

Pull the the whole fuel rail up and out as far as it can go.

With the injectors sticking up now, pull very hard to get them out. The O-rink on the top of the injectors may stay up inside the socket, so have a small screwdriver handy to pull them out. It easily came out after the injector was out. Put the o-rings back on the injectors once out.

Then by hand press the new injectors in the fuel rail. Not to difficult, but some of them may require some grunting and cussing.

Now put the little U-clamps on the tops of the injectors.

Re-position the fuel rail and align all injectors in their holes and press them in using the fuel rail. You will hear each of them pop in. The mount points that the four bolts go in, should be sitting flush with the mount point. If there is a gap, then you have an injector that's not fully seated.

Then reconnected each electrical plug for each injector. Reconnect the main electrical connector to each side of the fuel rail. Don't forget the throttle body connectors too if you unplugged them earlier.

Turn the key to the on position, without starting, to let the system pressurize. Check for leaks. Do this several times. Once you are absolutely sure there are no leaks, then start it.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IT L GO, thanks man!
Question: did you do the swap with the fuel rail still connected to the fuel feed line over your engine, or did you disconnect that as well and take the rails to a workbench for the injector swap?

Thanks again, sorry if I missed the answer to this question in your previous post.

Jim

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Not necessary to go to the workbench. Leave the rail connected to the engine. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again IT L GO! I see you're in Florida, perhaps we'll meet in person sometime.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts