Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys on the freeway, cruisin in 6th gear with the cruise control on at 75 MPH. going along and get a SES light. get off the offramp and it will not idle.. keeps dying and sounds like SHIT.

next day scan codes. misfire on cylinder 4 and a MAP sensor error.

same night driving on the freeway cause it started running better, get off the offramp and boom.

engine seized.

oil and coolant shooting out of my block.

call towtruck.

check plugs and block when i get home...

cylinder #4 plug is smashed in half. totally crushed.

i have a gaping hold in my oil pan and in the side of my block.

engine go bye bye and car is goign to be down for a while.

called insurance company and they cover it... get quote for 8900 for new engine and install.

low and behold i find out my buddy had a agostino 422 race engine he is looking to sell. only wants 8k for it, installed and dyno tuned.

looks like the vette is getting a new 422

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's making a positive out of a negative! I'm wondering how many miles you had on the motor before she blew, and is there some past history wiht this engine we should know about--because it sounds strange to blow with no load on it?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
um.....it almost sounds like a good thing to me...

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
vant said:
Every dark cloud has a silver lining! :thumb:
Sounds like Gold to me. Let us know how you make out :z:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
So, how'd you get it to blow up like that? I've been wanting a 422 also, is why I ask. :lol:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I think your fun quotient is about click up a notch or two !!!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
How does insurance cover a blown motor?

mmmmmmm 422.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Am I correct in reading that your insurance covered a blown motor? :-? Who is your insurance through, and what did you tell them to get it covered?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
W3rd. Im standing by the phone with my policy, ready to cancel farmers. :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
What was the cause of the failure? If you know . . .

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Richard Branca said:
What was the cause of the failure? If you know . . .
I'm guessing a broken valve spring started it all. Seems to be happening more and more as time goes on. Valve springs breaking when guys are just cruising around mellow. :(

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey i feel your pain brother...i blew my motor too about two months ago. Its been at the dealership for about 3 weeks now geting fixed and its killing me. wow your must have gotten the total coverage option with your insurance company. :thumb: But the good part...im throwin a procharger on it when i get it back :jammin:

·
Registered
136 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
I'm guessing a broken valve spring started it all. Seems to be happening more and more as time goes on. Valve springs breaking when guys are just cruising around mellow. :(

Thats what happend to mine...valve spring blow a whole in number 5 piston...i was hardly going 35mph...

·
Registered
853 Posts
LostCause said:
well guys on the freeway, cruisin in 6th gear with the cruise control on at 75 MPH. going along and get a SES light. get off the offramp and it will not idle.. keeps dying and sounds like SHIT.

next day scan codes. misfire on cylinder 4 and a MAP sensor error.

same night driving on the freeway cause it started running better, get off the offramp and boom.

engine seized.

oil and coolant shooting out of my block.

call towtruck.

check plugs and block when i get home...

cylinder #4 plug is smashed in half. totally crushed.

i have a gaping hold in my oil pan and in the side of my block.

engine go bye bye and car is goign to be down for a while.

called insurance company and they cover it... get quote for 8900 for new engine and install.

low and behold i find out my buddy had a agostino 422 race engine he is looking to sell. only wants 8k for it, installed and dyno tuned.

looks like the vette is getting a new 422
You also have me wondering..I work for one of 'those' dreaded insurance companies, and there is no provision for a blown motor......

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my insurance is through liberty mutual. they are coming out today to tell me final yes or no, they wont tell me what they are coming to check on the car (im guessing they are checking for mods) the engine had 72,000 miles on it :(

as for what i told the insurance company... i told them the honest to god truth believe it or not. guess sometimes it pays to just be honest...

im hoping that the insurnace will cut the check out ot me and let me take it to whatever shop i want to do the work. if thats the case hello 422... if not then ill have a brand new replacement LS6... which im not real thrilled about.. i have read many threads on this board about GM replacement engines being junk.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts