Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing a check for a 2002 Z06 in Torch Red this weekend. The dealer ordered the car with body-side moldings. Is that a good thing? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Juan,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Z06!! :cool: Be sure to register your new Z in our Registry!!

BSM's have always been a hotly debated item. Basically it is a personal decision. If you don't like them, it is an easy process to remove. I personally prefer to keep mine. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. So, no harm no foul. How are the moldings installed? No holes? Any costs to remove? Are they installed at the factory or dealership? Paint? I'm buying the car by the numbers ($/performance) and never noticed the darn moldings one way or the other. Also, I went with torch red because I thought it would be an easy sell a few years from now like Porsches. Is that the case with Vettes too? Red sells fast?

·
Registered
0 Posts
No holes, and easily removed. Factory installed. A lttle fishing line used to cut the adhesive loose will easily remove them. :)

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
It is all a matter of opinion on the BSM , I prefer them.

carzzy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I actually had the dealership put them on my car. I realize that if you look at the build codes someone could see it didn't come that way from the factory, but so what? I like them. If and when I ever get rid of the car and it is an issue...off they come.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Take delivery of the car and then see what you think. They are held in place with double sided tape. Personally I think it is a pleasant addition. This is my fourth C5 and I keep getting the BSM's. I like em.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
The BSM serves one of two purposes, in my mind. If they're on, they make the coves look "fast", and add a touch of racy look. If they are off, they tend to give a European style of look to the side of the car. I like the car either way.

I haven't taken mine off for a couple reasons. First, I really like the look, but could live without it. Secondly, since I like the look, it's not a big deal to leave them on. Finally, on a two year old car, I'm not sure there wouldn't be some paint fade under them, and I'm really not willing to take that chance, just to see.

Take 'em off if you want to. I imagine everyone here will still like you, either way!:lol: :cheers: :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
bsm

i think the side moulding looks Nice !
it can also protect the paint..
after a big ding...then remove those puppies !!!

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Take them off. Breaks up the body lines. They make the car look longer,and the body thinner. You sure didn't see them on the #2 and #3 Corvettes at Daytona. Should come right off with a heat gun. Your going to enjoy this site.:D

·
Registered
638 Posts
I agree with Baron, it breaks the lines of the car. I had the dealer remove mine. They took it to a local body shop, you can not tell they were ever on. Everybody a t the dealership agreed the car loked better. 02' EB.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
body-side moldings. Is that a good thing?
Don't you mean the Pontiac-Side Moldings? :lol:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Ditto on the personal choice thing.....Mine has them because the salesman mistakenly ordered them. :mad:

After thinking about it, I decided to leave them on.

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
One of mine already has a ding! ^%$#^#!!! :mad:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I too spent a lot of time deciding on the molding. I really like the sleek look of the car without them. A friend says he likes the way the bsm breaks up the door. Guess that is why it is an option.

But the deciding factor me...my 94 Vette. That car was 8 years old with NO dings. My driving/parking habits are not going to change (in fact, now that I tele-commute from home - the car is exposed to other while sitting even less).

So, I have NO body side molding.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Not only yes ...but HELL YES!

:lol: :lol: :lol: The more the better!! -HarleyB

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Hey Harley B. I don't like one, but the three give it that Testa Rosa look. Not for me, but not bad! :-? :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Your money......

Your check, your decision. My money, look at my sig.....
Drive it for a while, look at it from different angles in different light, and do what you think is right for you. If it will be a daily driver and there is a chance that parking conditions for you merit BSM, leave them on in that case. A whole lot easier to take care of a dinged BSM than a chip in a door:(
:D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts