Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 03 Z about 4 weeks ago...love it except for one problem: On full acceleration runs thru the gears, I've experienced something strange: On the 2-3 upshift, it hesitates for a split second in 3rd like the fuel got cutoff, then gets the power on.

I've watched my tach to be sure I'm not hitting the revlimiter, so even shifting at 5900-6000 out of 2nd into third, it acts like it has no power for a split second with the gas pedal mashed into third.

Are these tachs accurate? How can I hit the rev limit if I'm into a new gear? I thought the rev limit was around 6200? Is this a dealer issue?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was racing a 300ZXTT tonight and was bogging at every gear change; the power would die off almost completely for a split second with full throttle and then come back on. I quickly realized that I was spinning the tires by shifting hard and traction control was shutting off fuel and spark, so I just put it in competition mode (where traction control does not function).

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
It would be my guess as well that traction control is kicking in briefly to prevent rear wheel spin. I inadvertantly left mine on at the start of a race last year and went from 1st to 3rd at the start due to that hesitation.

As mentioned, Competition Mode should help. If you push and hold the active handling button on the center console for about five seconds it will go into Competition Mode (watch the DIC). In Comp Mode, active handling is still enabled but traction control is defeated which will allow you to get much more rear wheel spin but still provide some safety net.

However, I don't advise routinely driving around with traction control off, especially on the street. The system is pretty good and has saved many a driver from an accident.

Agree with Roushraven, Be Safe out there. :cheers:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Funny thing tho, nailing it from a rolling start in first, she just winds up, and screams through second too. You'd think if traction control was gonna do its thing, it would be stopping me then. This is wierd, like its shutting down the fuel momentarily. Doesn't the traction control apply braking to the wheels just like the active handling does? Again I'm new here, so still learning my car. But let me try that competition mode today...just a little Sunday drive thru the country!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
firsttimevette said:
Thanks guys. Funny thing tho, nailing it from a rolling start in first, she just winds up, and screams through second too. You'd think if traction control was gonna do its thing, it would be stopping me then. This is weird, like its shutting down the fuel momentarily. Doesn't the traction control apply braking to the wheels just like the active handling does? Again I'm new here, so still learning my car. But let me try that competition mode today...just a little Sunday drive thru the country!
My money also on TC. Hold TC button down in the center counsel for about 5 seconds. Competitive Driving will appear on your DIC. ( if you don't want to see it you can clear it by pushing reset on the Instrument panel). You will still be in Competitive Driving until you shut the engine off. It will then default back to AH/TC on restart. Don't do what some fools do drive around on the street with AH and TC turned off all the time. Active Handling has saved many folks both on the street when the unexpected has happened and also on the Drag strip. :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts