Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working the course at an autocross, I heard a metallic sound as a Z06 went by. I found a bolt that is about 3 inches long, and about 7-8mm in diameter (threads). The head of the bolt had some road grime on it while the threads were clean. And the end of the threaded section was rounded off (almost hemispherical.) Gave it to the owner thinking it may have been a ride height adjustment bolt (end of the spring), but later she said they (her husband and another guy) could not find where it went, but it is a GM bolt. Any ideas? I suppose it is possible she just hit the bolt that was already on the course.

TIA...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
the only one I can think of that thick in thread would be the batteries bolts holding negative or postive, but trust me , they would never fall off and they would notice that too :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Check the shock bolts. I've had both my rear shock bolts fall out and there is a loud bang when the nut comes off. There isn't really enough room for the bolt to fall out, it normally just digs into the rim, but my second bolt came completely out somehow.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Javelin said:
Check the shock bolts. I've had both my rear shock bolts fall out and there is a loud bang when the nut comes off. There isn't really enough room for the bolt to fall out, it normally just digs into the rim, but my second bolt came completely out somehow.
rears or fronts? i heard a big bang about 3 weeks ago that i thought might have just been a rock and now the car is darting around ... i wonder if that's the problem...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Both of mine came off the rear. I didn't notice any handling changes, but I caught it right away so I didn't drive it like that. I crawled 2 blocks to the dealership the first time and had it towed the 2nd time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Much thinner than a bottom shock bolt which is at least 1/2" (12-13mm) diameter. I think I will crawl under my car and see if I can figure it out. In fact I had run my car there the day before...maybe it is mine! :jawdrop:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dope said:
What size was the head of the bolt? That might help.

Dope
15mm or so. Had a round lip (an integral washer, if you will) where it meets the mating surface, as opposed to just a hex head. The oddest thing is the aforementioned rounded tip.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sounds like it could be one of the bolts holding the rear sway-bar bracket/bushing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did you figure it out? Is the parking lot that grippy out there? Maybe I should bring some extra bolts if I ever make it out to the stadium!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Maybe one of the two bolts next to the cats that keeps the exhaust from moving around.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have not figured it out. Was not a sway bar end link bolt as far as I can tell. Keep in mind I no longer have the bolt and it was not my car. I looked under the rear of my car (sliding underneath it) but could not find anything that looked like a match. And I looked under the front from the side and nothing I could see matched.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts