Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Sound Advice, I was looking into getting a stereo for my car with built in XM radio. The salesman there told me I would have to change out all my speakers since they are Bose. He said none of the aftermarket stereos work with them. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Also, can anyone recommend a good XM ready stereo to put in Vette? I have to keep costs down, so my budget is $500.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
if you are getting a new HU, your current speakers won't work. They are 1ohm speakers and most HU are only 4ohm stable. Besides, Bose is overrated anyway. I would say rip it all out and start over.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I agree with Paul - start over if you're getting a different HU.

Alex

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Given your budget, I would suggest you look at the route of interfacing an XM receiver to your existing radio. A few members have done this (Rocketsled is one) before, do a search on the subject, as at least a couple of people have written up how to's. Good Luck

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Oh, I would get Nav! I was thinking about getting the Nav my friend got - has a touch screen... it's so cool.

Alex

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My Nissan 300ZXTT came with a Bose stereo. IMO this is the biggest POS I've ever had! The speakers were replaced twice within the first 2 years and were then replaced with an Apline system which has been performing flawlessly since 1993. Yes, Bose speakers are different and are not just speakers, mine also contained pre-amps and no one else would maintain them or had aftermarket parts.
Sorry for the mini-rant -- just touched a nerve :eek::

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I can crank alot of sound out of my stock Bose speakers. The bass shakes the car. I checked into replacing it all and then once it added up to over a grand I said forget it.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
briann510 said:
I can crank alot of sound out of my stock Bose speakers. The bass shakes the car. I checked into replacing it all and then once it added up to over a grand I said forget it.
welcome to the wonderful world of stereo systems. That's about the price to get a decent system. I spend almost $4000 with my old system in my Camaro which was a dvd player, amp, sub, speakers. If you enjoy listening to your radio, that's one thing you can't really go cheap on. Unfortunately, there are worse system out there than Bose :jawdrop:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Yeah, there's worse.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Technically, they say that you can't run an aftermarket head unit with the stock speakers, but you can. It just takes someone that is experienced with this kind of stuff to rewire the speakers. It's kind of a pain, and if you want some really good sound, I would definitely go with aftermarket speakers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've replaced the Bose speakers for Alpine SPS-080A and SPS-130A and I love it.
The woofers are still the OEM bose ones and they definitively suck a$$ when compared to the clarity and crispness of the Alpine speakers.
The head unit is okay, but definitively not something to write home about.
The alpines are 4ohms if I recall correctly. They work fine with the head unit.

Hope this helps.

GB.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, with my budget, I should just get a Borla exhaust and just listen to the 405 hp system that comes with the car. :jammin:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your Bose speakers will work but the 8 inch bose subwoofers will not. You can get a soundgate adapter ($100) that will allow you to keep the bose woofers. I changed my HU to an alpine (to play MP3s) and later the adapter messed up and I changed a bunch of stuff.

Total cost.

Alpine HU $350
Alpine 4 ch amp $250
10 inch sub $50
Subthump sub box $100
Component speakers for the doors. $150
Custom MDF mount for speakers $5 (made it myself)
Wiring etc. $50

Adds up quick. :mug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts