Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been posting a lot about the "bottom end" of the ls6 engine for engine reliability before adding h/c or other power mods.
What options does one have with the ls6?
Can this be achieved through a stroker package.(roughly 8-10 grand I think)
Im not sure what is ment by "bottom end" and ways of improving upon this before h/c.
Some tuners want to rebuild the entire engine.(25 grand) but is this necessary in order to make h/c reliable.
Sorry to seem long winded.
thanks

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's the reliability when you're talking high HP #'s. Most people run about 450-550 RWHP +/- on a stock bottom end with no problems. If you're just doing a H/C package you'll be okay with the stock bottom end. If you plan on doing a S/C or a shot of N2O I'd consider the "bottom end." Basically you are building a fully forged short block consisting of a forged crank, rod, and pistons. If you're looking to do a stroker package, what size and what do you plan on doing with it? i.e. daily driver with an occasional trip to the local dragstrip or running it every chance you get balls to the wall? Also what do you mean by options on the LS6? When you say 8-10k are you talking just the short block or you're including the price of the heads and cam? Hope this helps and I'm sure others will add to your list of questions with some very good answers. :thumb:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to add.... in a couple of years whenever I want to sell my car, which would loose less money (I know its a loosing proposition)? The resale value of a 2 yr old c6zo6 or a modded 2004 500hp zo6 h/c? By looking at some of the adds with modded vetts it seems that they retain 20 - 50% of their investment value over stock.
I figure if rebuilding the bottom end helps with reliability, selling it later will be easier than just a h/c car with reliability issues.
I often think that I think too much. :crazy: I just want to make a right decision.
thanks

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
As stated earlier, you should be ok on a stock bottom ended h/n car. I has a sc and tuned it for max power and ended up hurting the stock bottom end. I was already considering a forged motor so my issue just helped me make my decision a bit faster. Im not sure where your getting your motor estimates but I just bought a complete longblock from A&A and it only cost me $5500.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
We all have different avenues and opinions. Mine just happens to be "build from the bottom up, not from the top down". Basically money well spent for piece of mind.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spdrcrj said:
As stated earlier, you should be ok on a stock bottom ended h/n car. I has a sc and tuned it for max power and ended up hurting the stock bottom end. I was already considering a forged motor so my issue just helped me make my decision a bit faster. Im not sure where your getting your motor estimates but I just bought a complete longblock from A&A and it only cost me $5500.
What is a complete longblock? I this an addition to the ls6 or a new motor?

·
Registered
596 Posts
A longblock is the block, crank, rods, pistons, and heads. As Nutbush said "work from the bottom to the top" is the best statement/advice you can get. You can reuse your heads but then you'd be getting a shortblock or use the same LS6 castings that have been worked and then you'd have a longblock. You'll have to turn in the old block and heads for a core or try and sell them and you'll probably get more money that way as well. Good Luck :cheers: Mario

·
Registered
830 Posts
nutbush said:
We all have different avenues and opinions. Mine just happens to be "build from the bottom up, not from the top down". Basically money well spent for piece of mind.

I just forged mine to play it safe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts