Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a BPP shifter in my Z and when it's in gear, the shifter seems to be loose meaning that i can jiggle the handle back and forth and it'll travel 3/8-1/2" When in Nuetral, you can't really tell all that much.

Anyone else notice this with aftermarket shifters?

TIA

:z:

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
I had the same problem and I have used my shifter for alot of miles. The problem turned out to be that the spring on the passenger side of the shifter was getting stuck up in the little shaft that it slides in. I took my shifter apart then greased the shafts where the shifter holds the springs that push the shifter rod down and keeps it from rattling. That plus general cleaning in the area helped tremendously.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
panzer said:
I had the same problem and I have used my shifter for alot of miles. The problem turned out to be that the spring on the passenger side of the shifter was getting stuck up in the little shaft that it slides in. I took my shifter apart then greased the shafts where the shifter holds the springs that push the shifter rod down and keeps it from rattling. That plus general cleaning in the area helped tremendously.

Say there Panzer,
Does this also work for the general buzz I am getting from my BPP? It's not a huge issue but at times it's a little annoying....

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
Probably. Put the stiffer springs in, they all get a little weaker over time with repeated use.

·
Registered
722 Posts
there is also a second culprit - the white retaining ring that sits in the mechanism and fits to the linkage. That ring, over time and use, can crack partially, or completely, making the shifter feel very loose while in gear, with alot of side to side movement.

If new springs don't do the trick, that plastic ring is probably the next place to look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts