Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the BPP shifter on my car since....November 2005. I have not had any problem with it till NOW. It engages first FINE, but when I pull back to 2nd it feels as though it's going into 4th. THE worst part is downshift....Cuz the gear isn't where I think it's supposed to be. REMEMBER, I do know how to shift and everything has been fine for the past 5-6 months. ANYWAYS, IT isn't going into 4th (the 1st to 4th has been removed) and there isn't the drop in RPM's...so I know it's in 2nd. AND almost all the gears don't feel right. When I shift to 5th it goes in alright and then the shifter pops over...it doesn't POP out of gear...but it actually/physically MOVES/pops over towards me. Has anyone ever heard or experienced anything like this? Know how to correct it?

Thanks,
Allen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
I had the BPP shifter for about a year, unitl it snapped in half while going for first gear at a red light. I had to push the car through the intersection, in lunch hour traffic. :MAH: :BLUSH: I would definitely take it out and inspect it for cracks. It could also be that the bushing is worn out or has gotten wedged in sideways, which could also cause this problem. If I remember correctly, there is a set screw that secures the part that the bushing goes into(can't remember the name), to the rod. Check to see if that's loose. Either way, I would take it apart and inspect it. If all looks OK, I would put the stock shifter back in, and see if it still does the same thing. That would at least narrow it down to either the shifter, or something else. BTW, I went with the Hurst afterwards, and I like it better. It's quieter and less notchy, but feels just as firm.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,847 Posts
z06nut said:
Now I know which one not to buy.:thumb:
i have had one since early 2002 .. never a problem.. i love it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
MilleniumZ06 said:
I had the BPP shifter for about a year, unitl it snapped in half while going for first gear at a red light. I had to push the car through the intersection, in lunch hour traffic. :MAH: :BLUSH: I would definitely take it out and inspect it for cracks. It could also be that the bushing is worn out or has gotten wedged in sideways, which could also cause this problem. If I remember correctly, there is a set screw that secures the part that the bushing goes into(can't remember the name), to the rod. Check to see if that's loose. Either way, I would take it apart and inspect it. If all looks OK, I would put the stock shifter back in, and see if it still does the same thing. That would at least narrow it down to either the shifter, or something else. BTW, I went with the Hurst afterwards, and I like it better. It's quieter and less notchy, but feels just as firm.
Mine broke too! I couldn't believe it. Mine lasted me about two years before it broke. It actually broke while in second gear, so I had to drive about two miles to my buddy's shop all in second gear. Good thing it was Sunday morning and very light traffic.

I highly recommend you take it out and look at it. Maybe I'm a very hard driver. Who knows. But, take it out and inspect it. The shifter has two sets of springs installed. Check them to make sure you don't have springs with different coil strength on each side. Also, check alignment. Did you install the black piece that goes over the ball of the shifter - drops into the "tunnel" of the car.

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do I tell the difference between the OLD and NEW model?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
I'm not sure what the differences are between old and new model. Mine felt great the entire time I had it. NEVER had a problem with it and I used to always rave about my shifter to friends. Then, one day... it broke. So, it's not something you can see coming.

Alex
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,033 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
I'm not sure what the differences are between old and new model. Mine felt great the entire time I had it. NEVER had a problem with it and I used to always rave about my shifter to friends. Then, one day... it broke. So, it's not something you can see coming.

Alex
...give Ernie @ Breathless Performance Products a call at 954 925 7725. He's a very fair person IMHO. Perhaps something can be worked out etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
I had terrible luck with my BPP shifter. It was absolutely horrible and I had a helluva time with them after I stopped payment on my credit card for the shifter. They never would refund the money until I got ugly with them on the phone, after several attempts to resolve the problem in a civil manner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
FUBU69 said:
...give Ernie @ Breathless Performance Products a call at 954 925 7725. He's a very fair person IMHO. Perhaps something can be worked out etc.
Thanks, Fubu. I'll give him a call after the holiday.

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
i snapped the bolts that fasten the aluminun shfter to the shifter stub think.replaced the bolts w/some grade 8's and its been fine since.hope it holds up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
I have heard a few bad stories about the BPP shifter so after much research I installed a Mallett and am very pleased with it.
Good luck I hope everything goes well and your able to get it replaced at no charge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
I showed my BPP shifter to my friend when it broke. He has been working in the machine shop field for many years and is familiar with all kinds of different metals. He took a look at my shifter and said the steel used to make it was a very brittle type of steel. He told me to stay away from that quality steel. I trust his opinion and will go by what he says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
I showed my BPP shifter to my friend when it broke. He has been working in the machine shop field for many years and is familiar with all kinds of different metals. He took a look at my shifter and said the steel used to make it was a very brittle type of steel. He told me to stay away from that quality steel. I trust his opinion and will go by what he says.
x2
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top