Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vararam and I am really sick of it, the filter is complete junk and I hate worrying about what my car is going to ingest from the filter not sealing enough. I am seriously debating switching to the bpp vortex. I dont think I'll gain anything but will I lose anything? If I do i dont think it would be very much and the piece of mind is probably worth the extra pony or two. Those of you with the bpp do you like it? and thoughts or opinions on the bpp? I am just to unhappy with the vararam. :eek::

And anyone wanna buy a used vararam with a brand new still in the plastic k&n filter and the shitty race filter vararam provides ? :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
John,
You might PM FRCTom and get one of his intakes. Very similar to the BPP unit, piece of cake install, comes with a nice cone shaped K&N filter and works like a champ! Tell him I sent ya and I bet you"ll get a smokin' deal!
:thumb: :thumb:

Jim

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you're replacing your vararam for another intake, have a look at the callaway honker. It was reported to increase a vette rwhp by 35 with tuning. I've heard nothing but good words about the honker that I'm ordering one myself.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The BPP Rammer is a very good piece. It has been around the longest of any of the CAIs and has been a proven product. It is a pretty simple product to install. It uses a good quality filter that is pretty accessible for maintenance too. I had one on my 01 for about 4 years and had no negative issues at all. BPP is located in Ft. Lauderdale. Give Ernie a call if you have questions.

Don

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I recommend Blackwing. Very large filter area = lower restriction. Simple, one piece construction. And a little "filter gauge" to tell you when to clean it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
DO IT!!!

I still can't understand why people would pay $350 for a Vararam:

-poor/inconsistent build quality
-crappy filters
-PITA install

The vortex is $220, you can pay another $50 for a precut shroud for a total of $270. Install took me & my brother 30min. Visibility and easy, quick access & removal of filter, which is one of the best filters I've ever seen.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
BPP Vortex
over
the Vararam - anyday.

Alex

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Well - fwiw, I installed a Breathless Vortex this evening (I had it in the garage for over 2 years - just never got round to putting it in).

I just got back from driving the car about 5 or 6 miles.

I did not notice any difference at idle, excpet a subtle whistle and a greatbig sucking sound when I blip the throttle.

Then it was off to the local "test n tune" section of one way 4 lane feader.

I didn't notice too mcuh difference off the line - but I could have sworn at the top of 1st, then at the top of 2nd - and again at the top of 3rd the car just kept pulling like it never used to.

In fact it didn't only spin the tyre at the 1st to 2nd shift - but at the the top of 2nd it felt like it got a second wind and chirped before I shifted - of course the 2nd to 3rd had the tyres get squirrell.

Now this is a public road all greased up - so I am ntp claiming a huge HP increase - but I am certain the 2 runs I did it felt stronger on the top end of each gear.

I will have a dyno taken tomorrow to get a new baseline - so we will see.

-Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts