Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any special cautions on doing a brake bleed on a '03 Z06? I know some ABS systems can be harmed if not done properly. I'm very experienced on doing the non-ABS race car, but this is the first fluid change on the Z06 before doing a DE at Road Atlanta.

·
Registered
943 Posts
From my C6 experience, you need to have a tech II to open the ABS valves to remove all old fluid. If you have DOT 3 or something that you don't want in there, then this is what you need.

I had the GM dealer do my first fluid change to DOT 4 I supplied with the tech II, then I do it thereafter like any other car without ABS... As the fluid in the ABS reservoir is not near the brakes and thus should not really breakdown from heat like the fluid near the brakes.

I guess after a couple more years I'll have to consider flushing the whole system again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are changing brands of fluid, to something better. Then it would be a good idea to take it back to LPE or local speed shop to open the valves on the ABS. You must use the Tech II tool, to do this.

·
21,348 Posts
From my C6 experience, you need to have a tech II to open the ABS valves to remove all old fluid. If you have DOT 3 or something that you don't want in there, then this is what you need.

I had the GM dealer do my first fluid change to DOT 4 I supplied with the tech II, then I do it thereafter like any other car without ABS... As the fluid in the ABS reservoir is not near the brakes and thus should not really breakdown from heat like the fluid near the brakes.

I guess after a couple more years I'll have to consider flushing the whole system again.
:i_agree:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Will not dispute a thing previously except to say that I have not used a Tech II and my flushes have left me with a firm pedal. HOWEVER, a friend with a Tech II has offered to help me do a flush and, not looking a gift horse in the mouth, will accept his generous offer. I used pigmented brake fluid (ATE Type 200, DOT 4) and experience difficulty achieving a "clean flush" at the right rear caliper. The other three clean up well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts