Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago, I removed one of my front wheels in order to inspect my brakes. Before I put the wheel back on I decided to spray the caliper and rotor down a bit because I left my dirty fingerprints all over them. I used the Brake Parts Cleaner spray found at the local auto parts store. When I washed the car today I cleaned the calipers - like I always do. When I was done drying the car I noticed that the caliper that I sprayed with the brake cleaner spray looks a little dull now. :mad:

Did I screw up? Was I not supposed to use the spray on the calipers?? Tomorrow I'm going to remove the wheel again and this time clean the caliper by hand with soap. I hope this works.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Is it just a good cleaning that the caliper needs?

Alex :mah:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Alex

Most of the brake cleaners out there you use can be harmful to any painted surfaces. If you read the label, most say, do not spray or get on paint. You can try and wash it again and try some polish on the caliper and see if it restores the shine.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Jack

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, I know... I shouldn't have used that darn spray. :(

I'll post the final outcome after I clean and polish the caliper.

·
Registered
806 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
I actually use brake cleaner to strip paint.
Same here! I also like to spray spiders with it too!!!! :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yes but the calipers are powder coated I believe in which case brake parts cleaner will have no effect on them. Take the wheel back off and just buff the caliper, brake parts cleaner sometimes leaves a residue on parts.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I know I've gotten some brake cleaner on my calipers in the past and do not seem to notice any dulling of fading. I use 3M brake cleaner if that makes any difference. Maybe it's just residue as others have said. Good luck and let us know.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Try a little rubbing compond on them, you can rub out powder coating, we do this on Hot Rods all the time.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Millenium Z06 said:
Yes but the calipers are powder coated I believe in which case brake parts cleaner will have no effect on them. Take the wheel back off and just buff the caliper, brake parts cleaner sometimes leaves a residue on parts.
I sure hope you're right as I was hoping the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts