Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the brake duct inlets are pretty low, and that debris cannot escape easily if you have the ducts installed, should you also install brake duct screens with the DRM ducts and spindle hubs?

I noticed on DRM's site that the 2003 One Lap car had screens.

Anyone have good reason to or not to install these screens?

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I used to run screens, but ended up removing them primarily due to getting tired of fishing them out of the vents after a track session. Maybe I was unlucky but I always seemed to have tire rubber kick up and knock in the screens - decided they were more trouble than they are worth.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
There is no problem running the screens... in fact they are a good idea ....keeping debri out of the ducts.

However I have found, like "Backlash" has that they become dislodged if hit by larger debri, such as tire chunks and rocks. They also become dislodged when smacking into AutoX cones.

A couple drops of strategically placed adhesive solved the problem.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you guys know of anyone having a true issue with the ducts because they didn't put the screens in?

All things equal, I'd rather not use them, especially since they may themselves become that piece of debris that I'm trying to avoid.

DJ, what adhesive do you recommend, and can you touch on any secrets for a solid screen install?

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
If you install them back farther into the first rib of the brake duct they will stay in. You can also add some black silicone.
They are harder to see cosmeticly but will do the job and are also far enough in to not get hit by large pieces of rubber or cones.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just want function, so looks aren't a consideration. I'm just picturing rubber marbles being dropped right onto the caliper area and worried what might happen. Of course I don't want the screens to dislodge for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
BQuicksilver said:
I just want function, so looks aren't a consideration. I'm just picturing rubber marbles being dropped right onto the caliper area and worried what might happen. Of course I don't want the screens to dislodge for the same reason.
That's what I figured. A bead of silicone in the first rib and then squeeze the screen in and it's not going anywhere.

By the way I am the creator of said screens, have been mfg. and installing them for over 4 years. Originally on my 2000 FRCs way before the Z06 was built.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts