Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Brake Dust on OEM Wheels -- Any Harm?

2K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  ZeeOhSix 
#1 ·
Hey guys -- was wondering if anyone has seen damage on stock Z06 wheel's finish from leaving brake dust on them for an extended period of time? Sometimes I don't get a chance to wash the damn dust off the wheels, and sometimes the front wheels get a pretty good coating of brake dust on them.

Also, was thinking of going with polished wheels that do not have any clear coat. Will brake dust damage a bare aluminum finish?

#4 ·
just keep the wheels clean - frequent washing - use a good wheel cleaner, and a wheel brush that lets you clean the inside surfaces of the wheels (think it's called the barrel).

#5 ·
Get some ceramic pads as it will solve your dirty wheel problem and you car will look nicer. I had stock ones on a long time and it only took 30 minutes of driving to make my clean wheels look dirty. Not acceptable.

#6 ·
panzer said:
Get some ceramic pads as it will solve your dirty wheel problem and you car will look nicer. I had stock ones on a long time and it only took 30 minutes of driving to make my clean wheels look dirty. Not acceptable.
I second the motion. I put durastop ceramics on my 02 and loved them. Hardly ever had to clean my wheels. Before the ceramics, I had to clean them twice a week.

#9 ·
Turbine-Man said:
Is there a degradation in performance when using the ceramics as compared to the stock pads?
Yes there is. It is not huge, but if you are tracking your Z in DEs you probably want to change to other pads.

I personally do not mind the dust that much. Easy to clean off with just the simple green cleaner. Letting it sit awhile is not an issue with the stock pads on the stock wheels, just be sure to use a gentle cleaner, like simple clean.

Good Luck

#11 ·
There is a GM TSB about OEM chromed wheels being damaged by brake dust. "Subject:
Pitting and Brake Dust on Chrome Wheels

Models:
2005 and Prior GM Cars and Trucks

Analysis of Returned Wheels

Chrome wheels returned under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for pitting concerns have recently been evaluated. This condition is usually most severe in the vent (or window) area of the front wheels. This "pitting" may actually be brake dust that has been allowed to accumulate on the wheel. The longer this accumulation builds up, the more difficult it is to remove.

Cleaning the Wheels

In all cases, the returned wheels could be cleaned to their original condition using GM Vehicle Care Cleaner Wax, P/N 12377966 (in Canada, P/N 10952905). When using this product, you should confine your treatment to the areas of the wheel that show evidence of the brake dust build-up. This product is only for use on chromed steel or chromed aluminum wheels."

#13 ·
Turbine man,

I have Durastop ceramics for street (all I get a chance to do), very clean but I am going to go to a carbotech pad next time the wheels are off.

One (1) hard stop from 120 - 0, and they are off by up to 50% on the next stop based on my non scientific trials.

They need a minute at 40 mph (with brake duct extensions) to cool down enough to regain their bite.

Are they safe for the street ? Shure. But if you get them, it's important to learn what they can and can't handle.

#14 ·
The answer to this question is very dependent on your brake pad. Many high performance pads are carbon metallic and they will rust onto your wheels. Nasty stuff if you don't clean it often... very often.

I use and race on the Carbotech line, available from forum vendor pfyc.com. There pads are ceramic based and the dust from these will not rust. :cheers:

#15 ·
jub jub said:
Ceramics are the way to go! :yeadog:
Second that for street use, my stockers lasted 200 miles and were gone. Got tired of driving around the block and having MY Z look black down the sides. The wheels looked black after a 15 minute drive also. Now, with the GM ceramics, prob solved. The first time i drove it after changing all 4 pads, the pedal felt a little softer. After driving for a few days and seating them in, i would never go back.

Jack

#17 ·
Subdriver said:
The answer to this question is very dependent on your brake pad. Many high performance pads are carbon metallic and they will rust onto your wheels. Nasty stuff if you don't clean it often... very often.

I use and race on the Carbotech line, available from forum vendor pfyc.com. There pads are ceramic based and the dust from these will not rust. :cheers:

These are ceramic and good for hard steet use?

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant....e=VT4003&Product_Count=3&Category_Code=VTSUSP

#18 ·
gsjack said:
Second that for street use, my stockers lasted 200 miles and were gone. Got tired of driving around the block and having MY Z look black down the sides. The wheels looked black after a 15 minute drive also. Now, with the GM ceramics, prob solved. The first time i drove it after changing all 4 pads, the pedal felt a little softer. After driving for a few days and seating them in, i would never go back.

Jack
Is there any squealing or other adverse characteristics with the GM ceramic brake pads?

How much are they -- fronts? ... rears?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.