Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 CE ZO6 with the polished wheels. I was cleaning it yesterday and noticed some pits on the wheels from what I assume was brake dust. I know I have heard of this before so it is not new. Does anyone have a solution for getting the pits out of the wheels and getting the shine back? I tried some Zoop polish but that didn't seem to work. I would hate to have the dust ruin my wheels any further.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Does the pitting look like rust setting in or etching into the wheel? If so, could be a prob with the wheels, can't imagine the dust already doing this on an 04. It's under warranty, take it into the dealer and have them check it out. I would also look into ceramic pads to do away with the dusting. Keep us updated and good luck.

Jack

·
Registered
475 Posts
DakotaVette said:
I have a 2004 CE ZO6 with the polished wheels. I was cleaning it yesterday and noticed some pits on the wheels from what I assume was brake dust. I know I have heard of this before so it is not new. Does anyone have a solution for getting the pits out of the wheels and getting the shine back? I tried some Zoop polish but that didn't seem to work. I would hate to have the dust ruin my wheels any further.
Zoops has a sealing compound for polished wheels. You polish up your wheels and apply the stuff, let dry for 24 hour
(I think) and Zoops says you're good to go for a year or so. I have never tried it and was wondering if you had, seeing how you used the Zoops polish.

Chas.

·
21,351 Posts
Best thing you can do is switch to ceramic brake pads. Dust isn't near as bad and you can go longer in between cleaning.

·
Registered
47 Posts
DakotaVette said:
I can tell you from experience that after I put the Baer Drilled & Slotted rotors on my roadster, the brake dust all but vanished.

It is a non-issue.

A few of my friends also put the Baers on and noticed thre radical difference.

Funny thing though, Baer doesn't mention that as a benefit of the rotors.

Best regards,

Pedro

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information. I think it looks more like pin sized bumps like you would see at the onset of corrosion. The bumps stick out and are not pits. I may take it in to have the dealer look at it just to get their humble opinion. As far as the Zoop, I have the polish but not the sealer. It would probably be a good idea to seal them once I get rid of the pits. Does anyone know, are the polished ZO6 rims sealed in any way?

·
Registered
475 Posts
DakotaVette said:
Thanks for the information. I think it looks more like pin sized bumps like you would see at the onset of corrosion. The bumps stick out and are not pits. I may take it in to have the dealer look at it just to get their humble opinion. As far as the Zoop, I have the polish but not the sealer. It would probably be a good idea to seal them once I get rid of the pits. Does anyone know, are the polished ZO6 rims sealed in any way?
Well now that I think about it my post and questions about Zoops sealer may have been useless. If you have 04 OEM Z16 wheels they should have clear coat. Have you removed the clear coat, if not GM should stand behind those wheels.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Tripleblack51 said:
I can tell you from experience that after I put the Baer Drilled & Slotted rotors on my roadster, the brake dust all but vanished.

It is a non-issue.

A few of my friends also put the Baers on and noticed thre radical difference.

Funny thing though, Baer doesn't mention that as a benefit of the rotors.

Best regards,

Pedro
Wow Pedro: That IS funny! I just put on those rotors a few weeks ago and seem to have the same experience - less brake dust, but not vanished. I can't imagine why less dust would be generated so I wonder if the slots cause it to be deposited differently, and less on the outer parts of the wheel??

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Sounds like corrosion under the clear coat. Aluminum corrosion will look like a milky white bump. If you have driven your car in snow you may have damage from the salt used on the roads. They also use other nasty stuff in the quest of safe driving conditions. Almost all of the chemicals used to melt snow with sooner or later melt your car in one way or another. Rust and the like.

D.J.

·
Registered
47 Posts
RalphP said:
Wow Pedro: That IS funny! I just put on those rotors a few weeks ago and seem to have the same experience - less brake dust, but not vanished. I can't imagine why less dust would be generated so I wonder if the slots cause it to be deposited differently, and less on the outer parts of the wheel??
Hey Ralph,
I think you may have hit the nail on the head!

I would think that the vanes and slots in the rotors let the dust escape elsewhere.

I'm not going to try to analyze it too much..I'm just happy not to have to deal with all the dust! :thumb:

Question: Are the brake pads on the Z06 the same that are on the C5?

Pedro

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I the clear coat is gone, it is not because I did it on purpose. The car only has about 2,500 miles on it. I have polished the rims with some car wax and wheel cleaner, but not with anything that indicated it would remove clear coat or wasn't safe for modern wheels. I plan to take it over to the dealer to get their take on it. Several years ago when I had my '99 hardtop, I noticed a strange noise when I would turn the wheel all the way and slowly release the clutch. It turns out that the front wheels were cupped. GM and the dealer replaced all four wheels, which really surprised me. I didn't buy the car from that dealer so that really surprised me when they came back with that. Unfortunately, they lost all of those points when I picked the car up after they put the new tires on and notice a bunch of deep scratches in the rear lid of the car. Of course they said they didn't know where those could have come from, but agreed to buff them out. A couple were still slightly visible, but with a black car, it is hard to keep scratch free.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
DakotaVette said:
I have a 2004 CE ZO6 with the polished wheels. I was cleaning it yesterday and noticed some pits on the wheels from what I assume was brake dust.
Was this only on the front rims, or both front and rears?

The front rims get all the brake dust ... rear rims hardly get any. I've seen my front rims look black compared to the rears.

If you see pits on all 4 rims, it's most likely being caused by something else ... especially if they are clear coated. I asked the question a while back if the factory brake pad dust could hurt factory Zee wheels if not washed off all the time. The answer came back as "no" because of the clear coat and the non-corrosive brake dust of the factory pads. I guess some aftermarket brake pads can do more damage than others though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To be honest, I do not remember seeing the corrosion on the rear rims, only on the front. I talked to a guy at the Chevy dealer and he suggested showing it to the service manager, but the guy wasn't there the day I stopped. I will have to take a closer look at all of the rims and then go back over to the dealer and show them. The brakes are still the factory brakes and pads. The car only has about 2,500 miles on it and it was not driven in any snow, but has been driven in rain.

·
Registered
891 Posts
You might try clay bar. If it is metallic brake dust fused on with moisture, clay should take it off. It's only thing that would take Hawk brake dust off my wheels.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Does the Comm. Edition have the Magnesium wheels???? I seem to remember reading how the Magnesium wheels will corrode under some normal conditions....can't remember what those conditions were though. :-? :-?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tripleblack51 said:
Will the Baer rotors support ceramic pads? If the rotors displace most of the dust, and the pads don't generate nearly as much, I would assume it would be almost a completely dustless solution. :idea:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts