Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, when I brake at high speeds (above 80) I noticed that the car shakes. The harder I press the brake the more the car shakes. It isn't a violent shake, but it is annoying.

So, I replaced the front rotors ($25 a peice :thumb: ) thinking they were warped. And unfortunately it still shakes when I brake at high speeds. Now normally, when your front rotors are warped, it has been my experience you can feel the steering wheel moving or shaking as well. Yesterday, I realized when it I press the brakes, the steering wheel is unaffected. It actually feels like the whole car in general shakes.

Could it be possible that my rear rotors are warped? Or is there something that I'm not thinking of? My next course of action would be to replace my rear rotors, but I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem are knows what is causing it.

Any advice or opinions are appreciated. :z:
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
When your wheel/tire package is bolted up, it becomes part of the whole assembly which obviously needs to be balanced. The dynamics experienced under braking can act differently than when accelerating or cruising. Can also point to other things such as worn bushings, excessive driveline lash. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Since it isnt the rotors, I would make sure that the tires are properly aligned and balanced. Also, make sure that your caliper bolts are tight and mounted correctly.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick feedback. I know it isn't my wheels and tires. I actually have two sets that I switch out periodically. Both were recently balanced with Hunter's newest machine and the symptoms are exactly the same regardless of which set of wheels and tires I have on the car.

Also, after I installed my new rotors on the front, I torqued and inspected all the bolts I removed.

Is it possible that the rear rotors could be warped? It seems odd that they would be since most of the work is done by the front brakes, but I suppose anything is possible. :-?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Does it shake only at high speeds and does it pull to one side?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dezballs69 said:
Does it shake only at high speeds and does it pull to one side?
Braking under 60mph is perfectly normal. No shaking at all. It doesn't seem to pull either. I lowered my car on the stock bolts about 6 months ago and had a 4 wheel alignment to the factory specs about a month after I lowered it. It has always driven perfectly straight.

I dunno.... :eek::

·
Registered
891 Posts
Broken or loose shock? Tie rod ends? Not tire balance. Certain pad materials transfer unevenly to rotors giving high spots (usually perceived as warped), but his should not happen only at higher speeds.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Im with Usta it could be a number of things (shocks, bad pads, etc.). But nothing that I can think of, that you haven't tried, would only be a problem at high speeds. ???

·
Registered
722 Posts
It definitely sounds like the rear rotors are causing your shaking while braking. Call your dealer and see if they'll cover it. Since rotor warpage is an eventuality, and occurs sooner or later based upon conditions beyond the manufacturer's control and is generally not an indication of a defect, they may or may not be able to cover the repair, based on mileage.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Warped rotors are actually very uncommon. The problem is normally uneven buildup of pad material which feels the same.
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

Rear brakes can cause the same symptons and I had that problem once when I skimped on proper pad bed in (only did that once... :lol: )

Take a look at your rear and front rotors and look for "spotting." If you see spotting, you can either put on new rotors or have them turned. Then I recommend you bed them in properly which should help.
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/bedincontents.htm

:cheers:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys for your advice. I am goning to try new rear rotors first and get those bedded in. We'll see where that gets me. They are only $25 a piece at NAPA, so it's not a big loss if it doesn't help the vibration. :z:

·
Registered
722 Posts
In any event, your problem will be cured with new rear rotors. Bedding them in should be SOP for us.

Let us know.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I did a series of 140-40 stops yesterday with a local vette tech/friend in the car and got the EXACT same syptoms. Before I said a word, he noted that that shaky feeling is your rotors overheating. I have balanced/aligned wheels and no issues with single stops or lower speed work. I can't explain his comment, but it sounds close to home. I am on slightly cracked drilled rotors with Z06 OEM pads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts