Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 Z with 6500 miles and the brakes are squealing when I come to a slow stop. I don't notice it under heavy breaking, but a light foot at a stop light for instance makes them squeal. I thought at first it was just because the car had been sitting most of it's life, but I've put about 600 miles on it and they still do it. Rotors look file. Surely the pads don't need replacing. The car hasn't been driven hard from what I can tell. Tires still have plenty of tread, and owner "said" they've never been replaced.

Any advice? This is a bad ass car, but I feel like i'm driving a POS when the brakes squeal.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Bambeezer said:
I just bought a 2002 Z with 6500 miles and the brakes are squealing when I come to a slow stop. I don't notice it under heavy breaking, but a light foot at a stop light for instance makes them squeal. I thought at first it was just because the car had been sitting most of it's life, but I've put about 600 miles on it and they still do it. Rotors look file. Surely the pads don't need replacing. The car hasn't been driven hard from what I can tell. Tires still have plenty of tread, and owner "said" they've never been replaced.

Any advice? This is a bad ass car, but I feel like i'm driving a POS when the brakes squeal.
Could be simply that the pads need to be driven hard so that they get broken in. I doubt they need replacing - squealing is usually a pad bedding issue. In addition, if the original owner put more aggressive carbon-metallic pads on it, they will tend to make more noise as well.

My tires tend to squeal more than my brakes...

·
Registered
722 Posts
The stock brakes on my '03 with 8500 miles squeal also from time to time- just the nature of the pad. Also lots of brake dust.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Pull the wheels and rotors. Clean all of the corrosion products from all of the seating surfaces. Reinstall, and torque. No more squeaks. Mine squeaked miserably until I did this and not a single peep in 14k miles.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
If you have the stock pads, you will almost always get squeeling. I switched to Durastop Ceramics and the squeeling and the dust are almost completely eliminated.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Trash the stock pads.....even if there are miles left. Like Norm said, get some Durastop Ceramics and your squeek and brake dust are history. They work great for street pads, and if you want to track your car, switch to the Carbotech +8/+9's. FYI. :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Bambeezer said:
Thanks guys. Where can I order the Durastop pads?
GMparts direct. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Does anyone have the part # for the durastop pads? I need new front brakes on my Z06 (the old ones are hitting the wear indicator) and I would like to get rid of the brake dust.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
GM PART # 88952008
CATEGORY: Brake Pads and Shoes
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $174.51
OUR PRICE: $99.47
DESCRIPTION: Z06-FRONT BRAKE PAD KIT

GM PART # 12530688
CATEGORY: Brake Pads and Shoes
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $93.07
OUR PRICE: $46.54
DESCRIPTION: Z06- REAR PAD KIT

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Those are the stock pad part #'s, not the durastop part #'s... I found the real part #'s they are: 88909667 for the front and 88909668 for the rear...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I never had any noise from the stock brakes on my 01 Z06. I had it for 4 1/2 years with over 25K miles. They saw over 200 miles of road course and double that on hill country runs.

The stock pads are fine for every day use. If you plan on running the car on road courses then you will eventually want to look in to a little more aggressive pad as well as replace fluids often and probably go with stainless steel lines.

Squeeking from worn out pads is the systems way of alerting you to the need to have them serviced.

The compound for the front pads on the 02s were supposedly changed to help with dust.

PerforminNorman said:
If you have the stock pads, you will almost always get squeeling. I switched to Durastop Ceramics and the squeeling and the dust are almost completely eliminated.

·
Registered
361 Posts
yes, absolutely. it's the stock pads. There is GM documentation that tells you they will squeak and dust.

It's the side effect of having stock pads with a lot of "bite". they do stop better than any street pads I have ever seen.

Here's what I did, and I just put them on this past weekend(with instruction and assistance from Corvette Dave! :thumb: ).

I ordered the Raybestos Quiet Ride pads from Rockauto.com

They were $60 for the front and $50 for the rear.

Dead quiet even after getting hot and warmed up. They are ceramic, so DON"t use them at the track. With the 200 or so miles I have put on them, they provide more than adequate stopping power for street use.

I felt just like you did. My front AND rear stock would wail. It does suck in the summer time when everyone has their windows down and you roll up to a light screaming like a banshee!!!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
2001Z06 said:
I never had any noise from the stock brakes on my 01 Z06. I had it for 4 1/2 years with over 25K miles. They saw over 200 miles of road course and double that on hill country runs.

The stock pads are fine for every day use. If you plan on running the car on road courses then you will eventually want to look in to a little more aggressive pad as well as replace fluids often and probably go with stainless steel lines.

Squeeking from worn out pads is the systems way of alerting you to the need to have them serviced.

The compound for the front pads on the 02s were supposedly changed to help with dust.

The pads on my 01' Z did not squeak at all either, but the ones on my 02 squeak like a seal being eaten by an orca. I can't tell you how annoying this is. I believe the 01' Z pads are actually the solution to stopping the squeak, and if the miles are low enough I think they will even do this under warranty. Don't quote me on that, but I think that it's true.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts